• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSN Name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Furleyy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have recently turned 18 and have found out that my birth certificate and SSN have different names.
Let's say my name is John White Ford
On my birth certificate it has my name as:
FN:John
MN:None
LN:White Ford
And on my SSN it has my name as:
MN:White
LN:Ford

I am planning on opening a bank account and I have already enrolled in college and financial aid and I have just used my name as is on my SSN.
Also my California ID has my name as shown on my birth certificate.
Should I worry about it or is it not a big deal? How will this affect me and how do I change it or does it even need to be changed?

Also I am not sure which section this belongs in or if this question is even answered here but I have no clue where else to look.

Thank you.

justalayman

You should have used the name on your birth certificate. That is your legal name (unless it was changed through the courts at some time). For some reason it would appear your name is improperly recorded with the SS folks. Get that corrected.

I am curious;

is there a hyphen between white and ford on your birth certificate?

was one of your parents last name white and the other ford?

what is on your drivers license? After all, your birth certificate would have been more likely to be used in obtaining it than your social security card.

and why did it take until you were 18 to realize this?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have recently turned 18 and have found out that my birth certificate and SSN have different names.
Let's say my name is John White Ford
On my birth certificate it has my name as:
MN:None
LN:White Ford
And on my SSN it has my name as:
MN:White
LN:Ford

I am planning on opening a bank account and I have already enrolled in college and financial aid and I have just used my name as is on my SSN.
Also my California ID has my name as shown on my birth certificate.
Should I worry about it or is it not a big deal? How will this affect me and how do I change it or does it even need to be changed?

Also I am not sure which section this belongs in or if this question is even answered here but I have no clue where else to look.

Thank you.
No your SSN does not have it listed that way. Your SSN card says John White Ford and does not indicate in any way, shape or form whether White Ford is your last name or White is your middle name. Have you ever filed a tax return?..electronically? If you filed it as White Ford for last name and got an electronic reject or filed it Ford as your last name and got an electronic reject you would know. If it doesn't match your BC you would need to get it corrected with the SSA. I suspect however that it does match, since your BC would have been part of your SSN application.

Furleyy

There is no hyphen in between any part of my name.
White is my fathers last name and ford is my mothers last name.

The reason I know that White is my middle name is because I went to the social security place because my mom had lost my social security card and I went to get a new one and the man working there told me that white was my middle name and I had asked him if he could change it but he said I would I have to get a court order. Also when I tried to fill out my financial aid I put my name down as it shows on my birth certificate which is John White Ford but it said it did not match my SSN so I tried the name as it shows on my SNN which is John W. Ford and it worked.

Also if I do have to change it how would I go on about it? Also I am assuming I would have to change my name at my college and financial aid as well?

justalayman

The reason I know that White is my middle name is because I went to the social security place because my mom had lost my social security card and I went to get a new one and the man working there told me that white was my middle name and I had asked him if he could change it but he said I would I have to get a court order.
You mean it is listed as your middle name at the SSA, right? White is not your middle name. You apparently have no middle name.

I think you talked to the wrong person. There was apparently an error made when whomever registered you for your SS card. It should not require a court order to correct your SS records. I think they misunderstood you when you asked if you could change your name on your card rather than correct your name.

Also when I tried to fill out my financial aid I put my name down as it shows on my birth certificate which is John White Ford but it said it did not match my SSN so I tried the name as it shows on my SNN which is John W. Ford and it worked.

Also if I do have to change it how would I go on about it? Also I am assuming I would have to change my name at my college and financial aid as well?
If you used your real name you wouldn't but since you didn't, it would be a really good idea to change it to your legal name.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/330/related/1

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1128/~/notification-my-name-and-social-security-number-do-not-match

what name is on your driver's license?

What name were you registered under in school (not college; primary and secondary)

as LdiJ asked previously; what name did you use to file your taxes? any problems?

Furleyy

My name on my drivers license is FN:John LN:White Ford
Also my name for school was FN:John LN:White Ford

As for the taxes I have never filed them but I have been claimed by my parents as "John W. Ford" it is exactly as shown in quotations.

So I am thinking I should go to my local social security office and get it corrected not changed then change my name at my school and financial aid?

Furleyy

I know it's hard having immigrant parents. :/

Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it. Better to prevent the problem before it becomes one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">