• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Strange Check arrived in mail today

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gatesmarch

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I was awarded my claim in September. I received my first benefit check on October 1, along with my children's. My children's backpay has also arrived as well. I have only been waiting on my backpay. I've been expecting my backpay to arrive within the next 30 days. Here's where it gets weird. All of our regular benefit checks came on the 3rd as expected. My check is 1442, my 3 children get 220 each. Within the next couple of days I received a check in my name for 2113.00; my backpay is supposed to be 12,998.00. What is this check for? I know SSDI backpay is supposed to be a lump sum payment so it can't be that. I'm at a loss. I also did not receive any ssi payments while awaiting my claim approval so there should not have been any deductions.

CourtClerk

When you called SSA to ask them? After all, they have the computers that can input your information and see what it says and all.....

gatesmarch

When you called SSA to ask them? After all, they have the computers that can input your information and see what it says and all.....
Well I just got it in my PO box today so I couldn't call. I was afraid to cash it but really need to so I can furnish my apartment. We've been homeless through the whole ssdi process. It's been a really, really hard road. Anyone who thinks we do this for a handout are really misinformed and shallow.

seagoing

i also received a couple checks for the backpay.I wouldn;t worry about cashing the check.I cashed mine .if there is a problem,they will deduct it later on.Chances are ,they will get it right.i know I received a small backpay check long before my big backpay,but i cant remember the reason why.I do remember calling and told not to be concerned.Best of luck to you and I only wish I could make the 55000 dollars a year again instead of my little SSDI check.Keep your disability info to yourself ,too many people look at you as stealing from the Govt.Its sad.

applecruncher

Well I just got it in my PO box today so I couldn't call. I was afraid to cash it but really need to so I can furnish my apartment. We've been homeless through the whole ssdi process. It's been a really, really hard road. Anyone who thinks we do this for a handout are really misinformed and shallow.
It would take you less time to call SSA than it would to log on here and post about how tough things have been and making comments about what others might think. So, what did SSA say when you called? Their phone lines are open 24 hrs and you can speak to a representative 7am - 7pm Mon - Fri. If you have no phone call from a pay phone toll free.

37IW

Sorry, wasn't venting but expressing how people perceive we SSDI and or, SSI recipients as being people who live off the taxpayers while in fact the money received doesn't make us wealthy but affords us the opportunity to survive. Notice I said we/us as I am one of these grateful people.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">