• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Survivor Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

midwestgirl09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

Just a quick question in regards to an attorney handling survivor benefits for me. On my own, after obtaining my SSI/SSDI benefits, I had to obtain survivor benefits even though I had asked about the benefits once I applied for SSDI and survivor benefits. My question is, why would two different attorneys (at different times) when questioned by the Adjudication judges tell the judge not to concern themselves in regards to my eligibility for survivors' benefits? Yes, I was able to get the benefits on my own; but why would two different attorneys not want to look out for my own best interest? My husband had a real good job with the electric company in IL for 14 years and paid a significant amount into Social Security. If attorneys can get away with not helping a widow like myself, whats' to say that they are or will do it to someone else?

Thank you for any feedback.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">