• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"survivors checks"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michaelt91

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA
When I was 12 my mother died and i was invited to live with an aunt and uncle.my mother was in debt but apperently I recieved "survivors checks" from SS however at the time I did not know this nor see any of the money. my aunt and uncle were very well off before this and my question is there any way to seek compensation for the benifits i never recieved? I am 20 and i moved out of their house when i was 18 and forced to leave because of other issues.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What makes you think you didn't see the benefit from those checks? You had a place to live, clothes to wear, food to eat. Did you expect your aunt/uncle to pay for this and not be reimbursed???

michaelt91

so what ur saying is since they already had established sources of income and i didnt that they had the right to take mine?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
so what ur saying is since they already had established sources of income and i didnt that they had the right to take mine?
That money was meant to help pay for your food/roof/clothes. And I'm sure you were fed, sheltered and clothed. :cool:

michaelt91

probably a question of morals then law but if they had the resources to raise me without the help of the government but they got the money anyway built a ski house and what not then i feel the money wasnt used for me some maybe but by no stretch of the imagination did they use all of that benifits on me fair to say selfish on their part? or should i just roll over and take it cause they gave me shelter?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
probably a question of morals then law but if they had the resources to raise me without the help of the government but they got the money anyway built a ski house and what not then i feel the money wasnt used for me some maybe but by no stretch of the imagination did they use all of that benifits on me fair to say selfish on their part? or should i just roll over and take it cause they gave me shelter?
Dude, you should be GRATEFUL that there was a family member willing to take you in and raise you. You should be GRATEFUL that you did not end up in state custody moving from foster home to foster home.

The survivor's benefits were used appropriately. :cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Where did you get your sense of entitlement from? There was no legal OR moral obligation to use their own resources to raise you.

ETA: And, I would bet large amounts of my own money that whatever those checks were, the money didn't fully reimburse your uncle and aunt for the cost of raising you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">