• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Timing for SS Application

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stephen1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA, although this is really a Federal question.

This is a plain, vanilla Social Security question - not SSI not Disability. This forum seemed to be the closest to the subject matter. If you believe that there is a better forum, please let me know.

I reach Full Retirement Age in the middle of a month. I understand that if I apply for SS prior to that month that I will receive a reduced amount. Also, if I wait to apply until after my birthday (the day for Full Retirement Age) then I will receive 100% of the benefit.

My question is 'what happens if I apply during the month that I reach Full Retirement Age but prior to having actually met that criterion?'

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA, although this is really a Federal question.

This is a plain, vanilla Social Security question - not SSI not Disability. This forum seemed to be the closest to the subject matter. If you believe that there is a better forum, please let me know.

I reach Full Retirement Age in the middle of a month. I understand that if I apply for SS prior to that month that I will receive a reduced amount. Also, if I wait to apply until after my birthday (the day for Full Retirement Age) then I will receive 100% of the benefit.

My question is 'what happens if I apply during the month that I reach Full Retirement Age but prior to having actually met that criterion?'
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/ageincrease.htm
Use the dropdown box to see how the SSA figures this. :cool:

Stephen1

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/ageincrease.htm
Use the dropdown box to see how the SSA figures this. :cool:
One of us did not understand the other. Either you didn't understand my question or I didn't understand your response. So here is an attempt to restate and clarify my question.

The SSA table says that I will receive 99.4% of the benefit if I retire at age 65 + 11 months.
The SSA table also says that I will receive 100% of the benefit if I retire at age 66.

Assume that my birthday is January 15th.
If I apply for SS benefits on January 3rd will I receive 99.4% or 100% of my benefit?

OR

Does an application in January for SS benefits result in same benefit amount independent of when in January the birthday is? Or would an application after the birthday (for example on the 16th) result in a higher benefit amount?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
One of us did not understand the other. Either you didn't understand my question or I didn't understand your response. So here is an attempt to restate and clarify my question.

The SSA table says that I will receive 99.4% of the benefit if I retire at age 65 + 11 months.
The SSA table also says that I will receive 100% of the benefit if I retire at age 66.

Assume that my birthday is January 15th.
If I apply for SS benefits on January 3rd will I receive 99.4% or 100% of my benefit?

OR

Does an application in January for SS benefits result in same benefit amount independent of when in January the birthday is? Or would an application after the birthday (for example on the 16th) result in a higher benefit amount?
Wait until your 66th birthday to file and get 100% of the benefits. :cool:

Stephen1

Wait until your 66th birthday to file and get 100% of the benefits. :cool:
Turns out that if you apply ANY TIME during the month of your 66th birthday, then you receive 100% of the benefits. You do not have to wait until after the actual birthday. This is really important for people whose birthday is at the end of a month.

I found this out by: 1. sitting on hold forever to talk to someone at SSA and then 2. trying it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">