• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

too few credits for a reasonable amount

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenn_roberts78@

from florida my husband was 24 at the time of the accident and only worked 3or 4 yrs and ssi/disability stated he is only entitled to 300$ a month if i am working what can i do

justalayman

he is entitled to what he is entitled to. There is nothing you can do about that.

I would not think he is eligible for SSDI at all due to the minimal amount of credits. SSDI is an earned benefit and is based upon earnings up to the time of the claim. SSI is a need based system and either you are eligible for what they pay or not. The payout is not determined by the earnings. If you have over the amount of income or assets the SS determines as the limit, your benefits are reduced or eliminated.

From the SS office FAQ:

How much can you get?
The basic monthly SSI payment for 2012 is the same nationwide. It is:

$698 for one person; or
$1,048 for a couple.
Not everyone gets the same amount. You may get more if you live in a state that adds money to the federal SSI payment. You may receive less if you or your family have other income. Where and with whom you live also makes a difference in the amount of your SSI payment.

Onderzoek

from florida my husband was 24 at the time of the accident and only worked 3or 4 yrs and ssi/disability stated he is only entitled to 300$ a month if i am working what can i do
Not sure what you are asking. It sounds like you would like to see him get more money per month.

First, it is important to know if your husband is receiving SSDI or SSI or both. You stated SSI/Disability, but I am not sure you are correctly referring to the right program. As young as he is, he could potentially qualify for SSDI with only three of four years of work under special insured status. But the amount of SSDI is totally dependent upon the amount of money he made and paid taxes on before he stopped working. That is unchangeable.

If he is receiving SSI, the only way that it can be increased is if you earn less money than you are currently receiving. I don't think that is what you are looking for.

He should contact his local Social Security office and ask them the questions. They have access to all the records. It is possible that he is receiving as much money as he can possibly get from SSA. However, it is also paossible that this money will be paid the rest of this life if he is disabled the rest of his life.

If he might be able to return to work someday, he needs to understand the work incentive rules that are quite complex, but are designed to help him get back into the work force and off of disability benefits. But that might not be feasible for him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">