• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trying to get disablity started

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandys question

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? S.C. Do you have to have been out of work for 3 months or more to apply for disability? I have limited use of my right arm and of course i am very right handed also i have a knee that needs to have a knee replacement, i am a 58 year old female and stand all day at my job, it is getting so hard to work i need to do something please help me!!!

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? S.C. Do you have to have been out of work for 3 months or more to apply for disability? I have limited use of my right arm and of course i am very right handed also i have a knee that needs to have a knee replacement, i am a 58 year old female and stand all day at my job, it is getting so hard to work i need to do something please help me!!!
You have to be determined medically/mentally unable to preform any gainful employment for a period of 12 months or more.

sandys question

You have to be determined medically/mentally unable to preform any gainful employment for a period of 12 months or more.
I understand this, I have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder and the doctor says it is NOT repairable and if they try to do surgery it could make it worse. My knee need s to be replaced and honestly i cant afford to be out of work for 3 to 4 months without pay just to have the knee taken care of. I said I had limited movement in my right, this is true, i cant move it up to do my job, i also cant lift more than a couple of pounds and my job requires me to lift up to 50 lbs. i need some advise on this matter asap. thank you

BL

I understand this, I have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder and the doctor says it is NOT repairable and if they try to do surgery it could make it worse. My knee need s to be replaced and honestly i cant afford to be out of work for 3 to 4 months without pay just to have the knee taken care of. I said I had limited movement in my right, this is true, i cant move it up to do my job, i also cant lift more than a couple of pounds and my job requires me to lift up to 50 lbs. i need some advise on this matter asap. thank you
Then you understand that you will Drs. statements that you can not do any gainful employment for at least 12 months .

If Drs. are willing to state so,SSA may also send you to a Dr. that they use to examine you as well.

Other than that,depending on your situation ,file for unemployment ,any other State disability program(s) ,and any other State & Fed. entitlements that you may be eligible for .

Onderzoek

You can file a claim for SSDI on your way home from your last day on the job, if the office is open. Might be a better idea to file online that evening.

For SSDI, there is a five month non-payment waiting period before benefits are payable. If you stop work tomorrow or on 3/31/13 , your five month waiting period is 4/13-8/13; payment is effective 9/13 and paid on a Wednesday in 10/13. That is the best case scenerio. Many claims are denied at the initial level and go through a long drawn out appeal period. But your case could be one of the one out of three that is approved on the initial level.

There is also the Supplemental Security Income (SSI). You still have to be found to be disabled and it rarely happens quickly, but if you are approved and you file your application on the last day of work, then SSI could pay you retroactively for the five month waiting period and might supplement the SSDI.

Your state may have a temporary disability program. You should save as much money as you can before you stop work.

This is one time when your age works in your favor but you also have to show that you can't do your usual job and can't do an easier job.

If you find it overwhelming, you may want to get help from a representative but it is not necessary. The important thing is to be thorough. There is information at this site and others that you may find helpful. Read as much as you can

csi7

Medical evidence that documents your disability so it can be assessed for percentages is needed as well to meet the criteria.

Best wishes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">