• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trying to help my brother get disability, very lost here!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

girlwapuppytat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing everything right. My brother is mentally slow. Growing up, my mom didn't want him "labeled by the government" so she insisted he attend regular school. He did poorly, but did graduate. He kind of has the mentality of maybe a 12 year old or so. He then worked as a farm hand for about 10 years. Then he had a tooth ache which was so severe he had to have mandibluar blocks (huge needle shot in the side of the head to numb the pain) He was also prescribed an antidepressant, but NOT for depression, it was meant to help with pain also. At about that time ( I think the two are related, but that's another story), he started getting iritable bowel type symptoms, which got worse and worse. He came to live with me. He tells everyone that the farmer sold the farm, and that's true, but if he'd not, my brother would not have been able to continue working. He now won't leave the house because he's afraid of having an accident. I tried buying different food, nothing helped. He must use the bathroom 5-6 times in the morning-afternoon, on good days. He did have some kind of county insurance for a while, and they paid for some tests, but nothing could diagnose what was wrong. Then he lost the insurance, and a kind nurse told him to try imodium, which he's now taken 3-4 times a day for the last 3 years. It helps him so that by the end of the afternoon, he's not confined to the house, he will go for short walks or jog, but never more than a few blocks away.

I talked to some coworkers who said I should try to get him disability or something. So I saw a sign for a lawyer nearby and went. That was last fall. He send my brother to some kind of psychologist dr, or some kind of dr, I don't think she was a medical dr, but a mental one or something. He said she asked him word problems and like riddles or something.

The lawyer doesn't seem like he thinks he will get disability. He didn't outright say this, but I just think it by how he acts. I know they aren't supposed to make promises or whatever, but I don't think he's enthusiastic. He said once, that because my brother worked as a farm hand, the gov't will want to know why he can't do that, so his real disability is the IBS-type stuff.

People who meet my brother are surprised to learn he's not getting some kind of assistance for his obvious mental challenge. I feel like I am maybe doing something wrong here. He was also raised to not want to be considered disabled. The lawyer was asking him about working, and he kept saying how he'd like to get a job somehow. I just can't imagine him being able to work... why would someone hire a person they see is mentally slow, or why would they hire someone whom needs to use the restroom 10 times a shift? He's got a lot of pride, but he has admitted to me that there's not a lot of jobs he could see himself doing sucessfully because he'd need to use the bathroom so much he'd be fired probably.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I am trying to be thorough so if anyone wants to give me any ideas of what else I can do, or what I am not doing right? The lawyer said it'd help if he had more recent dr. visits, since the last ones were 3 years ago when they all gave up on diagnosing him and he lost the insurance.... I am just hoping to be able to afford the cost.

It's also just a dumb observation I keep making to myself. I'm divorced and he's lived with me since around the divorce (and has been waaaay nicer to live with than my ex lol) If he was my spouse, he'd be able to be on my work's health insurance. Obviously I can't marry him. I have no interest in remarriage myself, but I'd totally marry someone else's sibling in the same situation as me if they'd marry mine, and we'd all have insurance lol Is that illegal? Kinda like "I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry" with a twist LOL *sigh* I just wish he could be on my insurance so he could get some medication, there's this one he could have taken, but with no insurance it was like $350/mo.

Onderzoek

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing everything right. My brother is mentally slow. Growing up, my mom didn't want him "labeled by the government" so she insisted he attend regular school. He did poorly, but did graduate. He kind of has the mentality of maybe a 12 year old or so. He then worked as a farm hand for about 10 years. Then he had a tooth ache which was so severe he had to have mandibluar blocks (huge needle shot in the side of the head to numb the pain) He was also prescribed an antidepressant, but NOT for depression, it was meant to help with pain also. At about that time ( I think the two are related, but that's another story), he started getting iritable bowel type symptoms, which got worse and worse. He came to live with me. He tells everyone that the farmer sold the farm, and that's true, but if he'd not, my brother would not have been able to continue working. He now won't leave the house because he's afraid of having an accident. I tried buying different food, nothing helped. He must use the bathroom 5-6 times in the morning-afternoon, on good days. He did have some kind of county insurance for a while, and they paid for some tests, but nothing could diagnose what was wrong. Then he lost the insurance, and a kind nurse told him to try imodium, which he's now taken 3-4 times a day for the last 3 years. It helps him so that by the end of the afternoon, he's not confined to the house, he will go for short walks or jog, but never more than a few blocks away.

I talked to some coworkers who said I should try to get him disability or something. So I saw a sign for a lawyer nearby and went. That was last fall. He send my brother to some kind of psychologist dr, or some kind of dr, I don't think she was a medical dr, but a mental one or something. He said she asked him word problems and like riddles or something.

The lawyer doesn't seem like he thinks he will get disability. He didn't outright say this, but I just think it by how he acts. I know they aren't supposed to make promises or whatever, but I don't think he's enthusiastic. He said once, that because my brother worked as a farm hand, the gov't will want to know why he can't do that, so his real disability is the IBS-type stuff.

People who meet my brother are surprised to learn he's not getting some kind of assistance for his obvious mental challenge. I feel like I am maybe doing something wrong here. He was also raised to not want to be considered disabled. The lawyer was asking him about working, and he kept saying how he'd like to get a job somehow. I just can't imagine him being able to work... why would someone hire a person they see is mentally slow, or why would they hire someone whom needs to use the restroom 10 times a shift? He's got a lot of pride, but he has admitted to me that there's not a lot of jobs he could see himself doing sucessfully because he'd need to use the bathroom so much he'd be fired probably.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I am trying to be thorough so if anyone wants to give me any ideas of what else I can do, or what I am not doing right? The lawyer said it'd help if he had more recent dr. visits, since the last ones were 3 years ago when they all gave up on diagnosing him and he lost the insurance.... I am just hoping to be able to afford the cost.

It's also just a dumb observation I keep making to myself. I'm divorced and he's lived with me since around the divorce (and has been waaaay nicer to live with than my ex lol) If he was my spouse, he'd be able to be on my work's health insurance. Obviously I can't marry him. I have no interest in remarriage myself, but I'd totally marry someone else's sibling in the same situation as me if they'd marry mine, and we'd all have insurance lol Is that illegal? Kinda like "I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry" with a twist LOL *sigh* I just wish he could be on my insurance so he could get some medication, there's this one he could have taken, but with no insurance it was like $350/mo.

Has he applied for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) yet? He may not qualify for SSDI because he may not have worked enough. You haven't stated his age or the number of years he worked or what year he stopped working. Those things matter. The SSI program is a public assistance, needs based, welfare disability program. Both administered by the Social Security Administration. Talking to a lawyer doesn't mean that an application has been filed since the lawyer cannot file it for him. The lawyer can assist and advise, but the claim needs to be completed online, in person or on the phone with an SSA employee (best IMO), or a paper document submitted. Until an application is filed, none of this even matters. SSI is not retroactive any earlier than the application date.

It will be hard to qualify with limited medical evidence, true. Not impossible. But it is impossible to qualify if no claim is filed. And if he can't admit he is disabled, you can't do it for him. Aren't there any free or low income medical clinics in your city?

ecmst12

Regardless of SSI/SSDI, he should absolutely qualify for Medicaid. And if you are claiming him as a dependent on your taxes, you MIGHT be able to put him as a dependent on your health insurance - have you asked HR about it?

girlwapuppytat

He worked as a farm hand for about 12 years. He's now 34.

We talked to the lawyer after getting turned down for disability. I'm not sure if it was the SSI or SSDI, the lawyer said something about that he should go for one kind because he did work but can't work anymore, that the other kind was for people who weren't ever able to work or something.

My insurance won't add him, last time I asked 3 years ago, don't think they will now either, it's gotten worse as far as how much copays and deductible I have :s

I called and got dates/times/locations of a couple of free clinics. He won't go to ones in the mornings, but I don't have off work then anyways so it's ok. I have a ton of drama going on myself with divorce, custody, etc, for the last 3 years, and I know I haven't done all I could to help my brother so I'm really mad at myself. He could have kept the county insurance but they sent a letter saying he had to renew something, I remember just skimming the letter and thinking it wasn't anything important, then the next few letters they sent, we never got because we had to move a few times, and they cancelled him from that program, and he couldn't get back on it then.

Thanks for the ideas so far :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">