• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urgent emergency payee request SSDI/SSI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jill99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I sort of have an urgent question. Does anyone know if SSA can stop payments to individual immediately (basically so that a hold is placed on check by SSA until payee is determined/approved)? Here is the situation...relative is mentally ill and in a short term facility where he can no longer stay. They have arranged for long term care at another place and have the benefits approved through the county. Current facility put request in to by his payee but looks like process is taking a long time and he is still getting checks deposited into checking account which he has severely mismanaged due to his mental illness. His next check if deposited will just go to all his bounced checks/overdraft fees and will have zero money left, which he needs to surrender to new long term facility. After we found this out about his checking account, case worker has said the new facility may not take him if next months check is already gone! So, I am wondering if there is anything at all the SSA can do in order to perhaps put a hold on his check so that it is not deposited into his account until that institution is designated as his payee? As his relative, I would go down apply to be his payee if perhaps that would hasten the process. It is the end of the month with a bunch of holidays coming up, so I am thinking we are out of luck. I did call the SSA and asked how long it would take to get checks deposited into new checking account and they said their cutoff is the 15th of the month. I am just wondering if there is perhaps an emergency or hardship request you can submit to get their check put on hold so it is not direct deposited. Thanks

BL

SSA is correct .

The only way to prevent the bank from taking the entire check is to close the bank account .

There will be no bank account to deposit the money in .

Call SSA back up and see what happens if the account is closed for direct deposit ?

If SSA holds it , then the recipient can apply for an immediate hardship check .

Usually up to $400.00 , then the difference sent in a separate check .

Be aware , it can take up to 6 months for a new Rep. payee to be appointed .

If there is no payee , SSA has no choice but to send the recipient their benefits .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">