• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Veterans Disability Benefits Determinations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I have been separated from my husband for 18 months. We are pending a divorce.

My husband applied for Veterans Disability benefits and was approved. I have been advised that his military pension was reduced by the amount of the benefits he is receiving in disability pay.

That amount was calculated as himself plus spouse plus parent.

Is it allowable to use the benefit of having a spouse when separated? We will be divorced within the next month. Will have to change his status? I believe he did this to avoid all of his military pension from being considered in spousal support and he recently had the support reduced because of that factor.

Also, his "parent" is not dependent on him in any way. He lives with her, but she is not disabled and fully employed.

On the flip side, am I also a beneficiary due to being his spouse?

Onderzoek

You may be able to apply for an apportionment of the VA benefit payable to the spouse. If this is VA pension (non-service connected), you may also want to show the VA your income. If it is VA compensation (service connected), then your income doesn't matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">