• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Waiting on decision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cushie

What is the name of your state? Washington state

I applied for SS Supplemental (hubs makes too much for DI) in March. So far things have been moving along fairly well, and I spoke with my claims examiner last week, he said he'd be making a decision this week. My questions:

1) Time before this he said he may need to send me to his doc. Now, no word of it. Is this a good or bad sign? I'm VERY worried about this.

2) Once he makes his decision how long will it take until I hear? SS main number told me not to call back until October 27th. About right??

3) If my disabiling condition is listed in the SS blue book, does that automatically qualify me, or is there more to the story??

Thank you!

zippysgoddess

They may still send you to their doc, they aren't very well known for giving you a lot of advance notice for such things. Another option is that you may have already seen, or be seeing one of the docs they use, so they didn't need to send you to another one. This happened to my DH for his SSDI, the Pysch he was seeing, was one of the docs they use, so no point in going to the added expense of another appointment, since he already knew what information they were looking for, and made sure to cover it in prior appointments.

Yes, they will take their good old sweet time to give you the decision. Even when they do, it may not be in the computer at the main office, in a timely manner, you may call them on the 27th and be told they don't know anything, then get a letter in the mail, on the same day, with your decision.

No, your condition being listed in the blue book does not autmotically qualify you, it just means you have a leg up for approval, they will still evaluate your other income, and resources; your meds if any, and how they affect you, and your possible ability to work, the severity of your condition, and many other factors.

Cushie

Thanks so much for your answer.

My examiner DID ask me to go to the doctor. I see the doc this Saturday, the 15th. Any tips? I'm nervous, but not overwhelmingly so. I've just heard of people worse off than me who have been denied. And I have trouble putting into words how my disease disables me, other than repeating that I'm ALWAYS tired, have no energy, am weak, etc.

Thanks again!

zippysgoddess

Well when my husband was applying a few years ago, he had an intensive mental health therapist helping him file, her advice was that for all the forms, and each docs appointment, answer all their questions with answers relevant to the worst day you have ever had in your life with your symptoms. She did this when filling out his forms, and he was approved on his first try. So that is my best advice, be honest, by use your WORST symptoms, when they ask you questions.

The doc more than likely perform such tests as range of motion, strength and etc. Do not be afraid to say no about performing an action they ask, if it is something that normally causes your problems. If they ask you to touch your toes, and you normally can't do it, tell them you can't!

They might do a strength test, the doc will have you hold out each arm, one at a time, and tell you to try to resist as he/she tries to push it down, if you normally have problems with your arm strength, then don't be afraid to not fight too much.

Cushie

Wow, that IS good advice. I do have up and down days, but I can do my worst day ever.

Thanks again and again. Tomorrow is D-day!

Cushie

Well, the visit was a disaster. The doctor couldn't comprehend that medicine doesn't make one magically better. He kept asking WHY do I have low energy? He discounted my low blood pressure (he could barely hear it and it was 68/38 when he took it) and said I shouldn't be dizzy when standing. Whatever. I told him about my low blood sugar episodes. He said that if I don't have a tumor then it's not a problem. Yeah, except for those times I've fainted while working and gotten stitches.

I'm very frustrated.

BL

Cushie said:
Well, the visit was a disaster. The doctor couldn't comprehend that medicine doesn't make one magically better. He kept asking WHY do I have low energy? He discounted my low blood pressure (he could barely hear it and it was 68/38 when he took it) and said I shouldn't be dizzy when standing. Whatever. I told him about my low blood sugar episodes. He said that if I don't have a tumor then it's not a problem. Yeah, except for those times I've fainted while working and gotten stitches.

I'm very frustrated.
SSA will / or has most likely sent an information form to your Primary Dr.

What are his/Her diagnosis and Opinions on whether you are able to work at gainful Employment ?

Or did you not discuss this with your Primary DR. ?

If not contact Him/her to see what was entered on that report .

That may or may not make a difference . After all the Primary Dr. is the one that has been following and familiar with your Medical History .

zippysgoddess

Blonde is right, this doc doesn't have the final say in your decision. They have to weigh all the medical evidence, and not just what this idiot says.

The reason he is out of it, is because a lot of times SSA used older, retired docs, who just want to work part time for a little income. Many of them aren't even familiar with these types of conditions, or necessarily educated as to modern medical findings.

Make sure to keep seeing your regular doc, and if you are concerned about what this freak might have in his report, then ask your regular doc to send you to someone for another opinion, and have that report sent in to SSA as well.

45Frank

Don't be frustrated what others have said is right I hope, In one of my past posts I went thru something simular it was pretty much a joke, after leaving the Dr's office I was in excrusiating pain for a month and I believe he thought it was funny. I'm waiting still to hear from my hearing now for sometime now.
My attorney didn't but thought into the SS Dr's report.

Cushie said:

I'm very frustrated.

Cushie

Thanks everyone, I needed that lift today. I was really in the dumps because of this idiot.

My primary doc has written in my chart notes that (while I was still working) that he feared I was totally disabled and should stop working. After that he continued to write how I was totally exhausted, there was medical proof, etc. He is my best advocate. This SSI doc asked had I ever been hospitalized. I said yes, last time was because my blood pressure was 30/21 upon admittance and didn't go any higher during the week I was there. He still didn't get it.

I've been trying to lay off seeing the doc regularly because of the financial side but I'll start going more. I've pretty much stopped complaining as I figure I'm where I am, this is as good as it gets (according to the experts).

Thank you all again and again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">