• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to Move, But Can We Afford To?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Want2DoItRight

My husband and I live in Virginia. He has been granted SSDI, Medicare and Medicaid status, and was admitted to a nursing home before his SSDI status was finalized. They accepted him "Medicaid-pending," and he gets good care there. When his SSDI status was granted, the powers-that-be (whoever they are) decided that I should receive all of his SSDI funding each month, for "spousal" support or upkeep (I forget the exact term). I still reside in our single family home, but feel that we need to sell the house and move to a part of the country where the cost of living is lower. I'm concerned that if I try to move my husband to a different nursing home and/or if I move myself out of the house we purchased jointly, I'll lose access to the SSDI funds and will lose any chance of my husband getting good care elsewhere. While we now live in Virginia, we may move to Indiana (where I have family). There's so much debt, and so much uncertainty. I haven't been able to figure out what to do on my own. I've shelled out over $1000 to a bankruptcy attorney, and after lots of time and consternation, he recommended that I sell the house and "disappear" with the proceeds. I'm not comfortable doing that. Just "not doing anything" doesn't really seem to be a good way to go, either.

Whyte Noise

Medicare is nationwide so he can use that in any state.

Medicaid may have to be applied for in the new state.

It sounds as if the SSA made you his representative payee from what you've posted. He's unable to handle his own affairs, I take it? If you move, all you have to do is provide the SSA with your new address information and any new banking information (if the benefits are done by direct deposit). I moved from MO to TN after approval and had no problems.

I don't have any knowledge of dealing with the moving nursing home aspects, sorry. I imagine that Medicare is paying a portion of that and perhaps his benefits paying a portion? I don't know if you'd need Medicare or SSA approval to move him... you may want to contact 1-800-MEDICARE and ask them.

ellencee

Medicaid is transferrable between most states and requires advance planning in order to move the patient and the funding at the same time. As previously stated, Medicare is fully mobile between states but Medicare is short term compared to Medicaid.

I'm not understanding how the NH patient's wife is receiving his benefits instead of the nursing home. Usually, Social Security income goes to the nursing home and Medicare/Medicaid pays the difference.

My suggestion is for the poster to go to an elder care attorney for advice and to do so ASAP.

EC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">