• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What does it take to get dissability? In California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hey all,

So I have an employee who is having a lot of health problems. I recommended they look into disability.. I'm not sure if there are any problems with me recommending this, but also I don't know what all is involved so I'm researching for her. I will lookup what is readily available on Ca websites, but does anyone have any personal knowledge of what she could should expect? Any particular considerations I should make as her supervisor? (not my company, just immediate manager and I'm trying to help her out) I appreciate any and all advice?

THANKS!

Hey all,

So I have an employee who is having a lot of health problems. I recommended they look into disability.. I'm not sure if there are any problems with me recommending this, but also I don't know what all is involved so I'm researching for her. I will lookup what is readily available on Ca websites, but does anyone have any personal knowledge of what she could should expect? Any particular considerations I should make as her supervisor? (not my company, just immediate manager and I'm trying to help her out) I appreciate any and all advice?

THANKS!
She most likely is eligible for EDD Disability benefits if she cannot work due to her health issues. If she goes to a doctor and the doctor says she cannot work, he then fills out the EDD application and sends it in according to the directions listed on the application and the employee should receive approximately 3/4 of her regular wages in the form of a payment every two weeks. I believe there is a 1 week waiting period on benefits that would eventually get paid if such disability lasted for a certain length of time.

Proserpina

Hey all,

THANKS!
Point her to the relevant Internet sites. They'll basically guide her through it step by step.

Nobody can predict what will happen with her specific case, but it will generally involve obtaining medical evidence, waiting for a decision and - perhaps - having to appeal.

Point her to the relevant Internet sites. They'll basically guide her through it step by step.

Nobody can predict what will happen with her specific case, but it will generally involve obtaining medical evidence, waiting for a decision and - perhaps - having to appeal.
EDD.ca.gov.com

quincy

justsomeguy, this forum is lucky to have a few experienced posters who work or have worked in this field. I suggest you wait to hear from either Ladyback1 or from Onderzoek. They can provide you with accurate information and good advice and direction.

I agree with Proserpina.

Last edited:

Onderzoek

Hey all,

THANKS!
As her employer, you are probably withholding SDI taxes (in California) which is the temporary disability program that is administered by EDD as other posters have said. The requirements for qualifying are less stringent that SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance ) or SSI (Supplemental Security Income) which are administered by the Social Security Administration.

SDI only lasts 12 months. SSDI and SSI last as long as a person is disabled, but the standard for qualifying is harder - unable to do any kind of work not just the usual work, sufficient medical documentation, will be severe for at least 12 months, not working and performing Substantial Gainful Activity. Two out of three initial applications are denied. Some of those people go through long appeal processes. Others go back to work.

Need to go to www.socialsecurity.gov and read up. Way too much to explain in this forum. Ask questions after you read both web sites.

Ladyback1

justsomeguy, this forum is lucky to have a few experienced posters who work or have worked in this field. I suggest you wait to hear from either Ladyback1 or from Onderzoek. They can provide you with accurate information and good advice and direction.

I agree with Proserpina.
I appreciate the faith in my abilities---but I know NOTHING about California! (and most days I like it like that!)

As her employer, you are probably withholding SDI taxes (in California) which is the temporary disability program that is administered by EDD as other posters have said. The requirements for qualifying are less stringent that SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance ) or SSI (Supplemental Security Income) which are administered by the Social Security Administration.

SDI only lasts 12 months. SSDI and SSI last as long as a person is disabled, but the standard for qualifying is harder - unable to do any kind of work not just the usual work, sufficient medical documentation, will be severe for at least 12 months, not working and performing Substantial Gainful Activity. Two out of three initial applications are denied. Some of those people go through long appeal processes. Others go back to work.

Need to go to www.socialsecurity.gov and read up. Way too much to explain in this forum. Ask questions after you read both web sites.
"SSDI and SSI last as long as a person is disabled..."

Isn't a person who is 65 or older and NOT DISABLED, eligible for SSI benefits if they meet the income requirements?

quincy

"SSDI and SSI last as long as a person is disabled..."

Isn't a person who is 65 or older and NOT DISABLED, eligible for SSI benefits if they meet the income requirements?
Yes. You do not have to be disabled to be eligible for SSI benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">