• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is my date of disability for Income Tax purpose?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

new2freeadvice

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I just received written notice in January 2012, after an administrative hearing in December 2011 regarding my application for SSD. The judge founded my disability to be permanent and that it started in 2009.

However, I am not 100% sure, for tax filing purpose, about the date of my disability. Is it the date I received notice (2012), or the 2009 date?

Can I claim disability on my federal and state income tax for 2011? Also, do I need to amend my tax return for 2010 and 2009 to reflect the status?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I just received written notice in January 2012, after an administrative hearing in December 2011 regarding my application for SSD. The judge founded my disability to be permanent and that it started in 2009.

However, I am not 100% sure, for tax filing purpose, about the date of my disability. Is it the date I received notice (2012), or the 2009 date?

Can I claim disability on my federal and state income tax for 2011? Also, do I need to amend my tax return for 2010 and 2009 to reflect the status?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Your local or 800# could send you a statement upon request once you are in the system .Ask for it to include your eligibility date and entitlement date and all identifying informations .

I do not know about the tax issues though.

csi7

You will be receiving your disability lump sum payment in 2012. At the end of this tax year, you will receive a 1099 that breaks up the payments to each tax year.
There is a form that has a worksheet to help you determine the best way to do the taxes on the disability benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">