• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should i expect???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bunny907

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Back in October I did an online application for SSDI and then did a follow up phone interview to see if i could qualify for SSI( i didnt know one application goes to try both) but my husband makes too much for me to be on that. So ive been doing what im required with the SSDI claim, gone to there doctors and such. Ive heard you usualy get an answer within 4 months but others say no. They also say you will most likly be denied first time but you have to be denied a second time to get a lawyer. Im not sure what to believe. I guess its different for everyone, some get accepted fast some it takes forever.

I am unable to work and my husband is doing his best to keep us out of the red zone.

But what actually happens once you do the paperwork the phone interviews the health department doctor they sent you to???I did get a follow up call last week for some more information since the original guy that interviewed me didnt fill in everything and the woman i spoke with said they are currently working on my claim.

phase08

I don’t mean to sound flippant, but what you can 'expect' is that you will learn a new meaning for the term ‘patience’. There are so many SSDI applications – some legit, some not – and yes, some people who should get approved are denied several times, and others who should never get it are approved. It takes a long time – too long IMHO. That’s the way it is sometimes and nothing you or anyone can do about it until they decide to revamp and improve the system.

Here is what I do know:

I’m acquainted with and am also related to several people who now receive SSDI benefits. Every one of them was denied the first time, and they had to appeal, a few had to appeal more than once. It took approximately 2 yrs for every one of them to get approved and receive benefits. There are a lot of questions to be answered, over and over again, and a lot of forms and other paperwork to be submitted – over and over again. SSA will most likely send you to their doctors for evaluation. Most people I know eventually got approved without the help of an attorney, but sometimes it’s necessary. Keep in mind an attorney will keep a percentage of the backpay awarded.

However, SSA communicates with you in writing, and their decisions and instructions are very clear and explicit. Calling to find out the status rarely helps. When they say they are working on your claim that’ what they mean, and they will not be rushed.

You are fortunate to have a spouse with income. Many people don't.
You need to keep detailed records and copies of everything. You are still in the early stages of the application process. If it would make you feel better, you can call an attorney who handles SSDI cases, ask whatever questions you want, but an attorney cannot make the SSA ‘hurry up’.

Ozark_Sophist

It's been awhile, but from what I remember, the determination statistics demonstrate at least 85% of claims are initially denied. It took me 18 months for my initial claim to be denied, then about another 18 months before I got a hearing in front of an administrative law judge when my disability claim was granted.

Most who go through all the appeals (4 to 5 years) eventually are determined to be disabled. But really, who can go 4 to 5 years without income? My uncle had brain cancer, multiple seizures, but continued to try to work so he could have insurance. Because he worked, even a little, he kept getting denied. It wasn't until the cancer was determined terminal that his emergency application was approved. He lived for three months at that point.

How bad is are the delays? I read today that Obama's stimulus plan when first proposed had $500 million directed to addressing the backlog of determinations and appeals.

bunny907

Phase im sorry if i seemed impatient. actually i am being patient, its more of curiosity of what to expect. because those that i do know that are on either ssi or ssdi different things happend to them.

one maybe positive thing is there sending me back to the doctors. was contacted via phone about this. they told me to call the doctor up and set up a time instead of them sending me paperwork telling me be there this time or else.

i know that calling them up trying to find out the status is a waste. i dont care to wait on hold for 20 minutes, when they have a decision or denial i know it comes in the mail.

phase08

No problem, bunny. Just wanted to give you the scoop.

I forgot to say that I know of only one case when SSDI was granted rather quickly. The daughter of a former supervisor developed terminal cancer, and with the assistance and input of her doctors, her emergency claim was walked thru. That’s unusual. Unfortunately, the woman passed away about 6 months later.

Last edited:

Bistro

There are also the Compassionate Allowances (CAL) and Quick Disability Determination (QDD) listings; both are listed at the ssa.gov website, or you can utilize Google and find info there. However, it appears (and I could be mistaken) that applications involving one of those conditions are flagged by computer and somewhat automatically selected for faster processing - in other words, if you had one of those conditions, you'd probably know the decision very quickly anyway.

My late husband was approved for both SSDI and SSI, first try, within 12 weeks of filing, but his condition was obviously (if not imminently terminal) completely disabling (it did not however appear on any "fast track" listing).

Good luck though, either way - the whole process can add incredible stress to an already stressed patient!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">