• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Will Happen In My Scenario?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmaher89

Scenario in Question
I am on SSDI and have a 4 year old daughter.
She is on SSDI with a 14 year old son.
My daughter (her mother) receives benefits monthly.
Her son receives benefits monthly.
{[(1.)]} If we were to marry how would that effect our benefit amount overall?
{[(2.)]}If we were to marry how would that effect our childrens benefit amount overall?
Please Help We Live In Missouri aka MISERY!

LdiJ

Scenario in Question
I am on SSDI and have a 4 year old daughter.
She is on SSDI with a 14 year old son.
My daughter (her mother) receives benefits monthly.
Her son receives benefits monthly.
{[(1.)]} If we were to marry how would that effect our benefit amount overall?
{[(2.)]}If we were to marry how would that effect our childrens benefit amount overall?
Please Help We Live In Missouri aka MISERY!
That was a little bit confusing, (too many pronouns) but I am assuming that you are on SSDI and you are considering marrying another person on SSDI and that you both have dependent children who are also receiving benefits.

The good news is that if neither of you have any other income from any other source, a marriage would have zero effect on anyone's benefits...no matter what.

tmaher89

That was a little bit confusing, (too many pronouns) but I am assuming that you are on SSDI and you are considering marrying another person on SSDI and that you both have dependent children who are also receiving benefits.

The good news is that if neither of you have any other income from any other source, a marriage would have zero effect on anyone's benefits...no matter what.
Thank You for being able to follow my crazy brain blurt out:D and the information you just provided helps A LOT!!

justalayman

I had to read it about 12 times to figure out you didn't mean your 4 yo daughter had a 14 yo son. I still haven't figured this out though:

My daughter (her mother) receives benefits monthly

Your daughter is whose mother?

Ssdi is an earnings based payment. As long as your and the possible wife's disability continues you will each continue to recieve what you are now. The children are recieving benefits based on the parent's disability and are not income based so they will also remain the same as long as they are minors and the qualifying parent remains qualified

If the parent becomes disqualified, they and their child lose benefits. It doesn't matter what other income anybody has since this is SSDI and not SSI (disability but payments are based on current financial status). Speaking of, are you certain neither of you recieve SSI along with the SSDI? If a person's SSDI is less than the max payment SSI provides and their income does not disqualify them, they will recieve SSI to make up the difference. That could change upon marriage or even cohabitation.

Kit Cat

excellent post justal

tma,

I did not understand your post, but the important questions are:

1. do you know.... are you on SSI or SSDI? this is VERY important.

2. are your children disabled? Are they getting benefits because they are disabled or because you are?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">