• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who can receive disability benefits after family members death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Realistic guy

Massachusetts
My sister died and was recieving SS disability benefits from her disease I just got in the mail from SS a form that I need to fill out. It shows (if I am reading it correctly) that family members other than a spouse (she was never married) can in some circumstances receive continued benefits, is this correct? I have not filled out the paperwork yet but it states they need a death certificate and birth certificate. I am the representative of her estate and the beneficiary of her small 401k and the home was left to me also not sure of that plays any part in this..
Thanks for any guidance or info.

commentator

If she didn't have any direct dependents drawing off her, there is a form you can fill out, and receive the last month's social security disability payment, pro-rated for the number of days she actually lived during that month.

Her death was reported to Social Security by the funeral home or place where her final arragements were made. They will very quickly take back the month's ss payment which is on direct deposit to her bank account. But then you file the form, and the estate is paid her disability payment for the number of days she actually lived in the last month.

As for someone else, if she doesn't have a direct dependent, such as a child or spouse, receiving disability payments on her recognizance, no there's nothing except that backpay for the days she lived in the last month she did live.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
You would not meet eligibility requirements to receive survivors' benefits.
Social Security Survivors Benefits
Who can get survivors benefits based on your work?

Your widow or widower may be able to receive full benefits at full retirement age. The full retirement age for survivors is age 66 for people born in 1945-1956 and will gradually increase to age 67 for people born in 1962 or later. Reduced widow or widower benefits can be received as early as age 60. If your surviving spouse is disabled, benefits can begin as early as age 50. For more information on widows, widowers and other survivors, visit Social Security Online: Widows, Widowers & Other Survivors: Qualify and Apply.

Your widow or widower can receive benefits at any age if she or he takes care of your child who is receiving Social Security benefits and younger than age 16 or disabled.

Your unmarried children who are younger than age 18 (or up to age 19 if they are attending elementary or secondary school full time) also can receive benefits. Your children can get benefits at any age if they were disabled before age 22 and remain disabled. Under certain circumstances, benefits also can be paid to your stepchildren, grandchildren, stepgrandchildren or adopted children.

Your dependent parents can receive benefits if they are age 62 or older. (For your parents to qualify as dependents, you would have had to *provide at least one-half of their support.)
Survivors Benefits

Betty

Agree with commentator - that's how it will be handled. You as the
sister will not be receiving any survivor benefits.

Onderzoek

Massachusetts
My sister died and was recieving SS disability benefits from her disease I just got in the mail from SS a form that I need to fill out. It shows (if I am reading it correctly) that family members other than a spouse (she was never married) can in some circumstances receive continued benefits, is this correct? I have not filled out the paperwork yet but it states they need a death certificate and birth certificate. I am the representative of her estate and the beneficiary of her small 401k and the home was left to me also not sure of that plays any part in this..
Thanks for any guidance or info.
Minor children can sometimes get survivor benefits. Disabled adult children can sometimes get suvivor benefits.

There is no proration for the month of death. Benefits are paid the month after due and there is no eligibility for the month of death. So if she died in January, the check received in January for December is the last check. There is no money due in February for January. If she died before the check was cashed, there is a hierarchy of who can apply for the underpayment due for the funds that were due in the month before death. After spouse and children, the representative of the estate is last in line.

Betty

Onderzoek is correct.

What To Do When A Beneficiary Dies

If monthly benefits were being paid via direct deposit, notify the bank or other financial institution of the beneficiary's death. Request that any funds received for the month of death and later be returned to Social Security as soon as possible.

If benefits were being paid by check, DO NOT CASH any checks received for the month in which the beneficiary died or thereafter. Return the checks to Social Security as soon as possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">