• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why SSI and SSDI?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KidNovak

What is the name of your state? KY

Here are my other two threads about my Disabilities…
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=339415
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=346379

If you read the above threads, then you know that I applied for SSI and SSDI.

How come I hardly ever hear about SSDI, everything is SSI? I go to the SSA office for a financial review and almost all questions were SSI based. I had to ask about back pay and monthly payments for SSDI.

Why did SSA even go to the trouble of putting me on SSI when they should know from the start that I’ve been working for 20+ years straight making more money then SSI required.

I received two letters the other day from SSA. One was an agreement letter about paying my attorney and the other letter was about SSI, not SSDI. It was about how much I would be getting monthly, nothing about back pay and it said I would start receiving SSI monthly payments starting in January.

The letter also said something about not paying two months of 2004 because I received money from my parents. Is that right even though I’m paying my parents back the money I borrowed?

When will I hear about SSDI monthly payments and back pay?

Thank you,
Novak

Ozark_Sophist

SSI is means tested. If you qualify based on your assets, income, and disability, you will get SSI right away. The process for SSDI can be long, so the supplementary security income (SSI) is necessary if you "means" test for it. If and when you qualify for SSDI, the SSI payments made will be deducted from the SSDI backpay award. When I became disabled, the SSDI process took over 2 years. My income and assets prevented me from receiving SSI during the process, but I still received the SSDI back pay.

BL

What is the name of your state? KY

Here are my other two threads about my Disabilities…
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=339415
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=346379

If you read the above threads, then you know that I applied for SSI and SSDI.

How come I hardly ever hear about SSDI, everything is SSI? I go to the SSA office for a financial review and almost all questions were SSI based. I had to ask about back pay and monthly payments for SSDI.

Why did SSA even go to the trouble of putting me on SSI when they should know from the start that I’ve been working for 20+ years straight making more money then SSI required.

I received two letters the other day from SSA. One was an agreement letter about paying my attorney and the other letter was about SSI, not SSDI. It was about how much I would be getting monthly, nothing about back pay and it said I would start receiving SSI monthly payments starting in January.

The letter also said something about not paying two months of 2004 because I received money from my parents. Is that right even though I’m paying my parents back the money I borrowed?

When will I hear about SSDI monthly payments and back pay?

Thank you,
Novak
Were you Approved for SSDI ( yes , I understand you worked 20 yrs . ) ?

The Agreement entitles the Attorney to take his pay first , before you get paid ( in other words right off the top ).

It is the norm for SSA , to have you apply for SSDI & SSI at the same time .

I would call and ask about your other question the letters refer to SSI & not SSDI .

The letter could simply be a " form " letter sent out before you actually receive your benefit letters that include any back amounts .

Yes, SSI looks at that kind of help you receive as assets ( on the SSA site , look up assets ) .

You could always file a waiver , it wouldn't hurt ( look up waiver at the SSA site - there is a time limit )

krobgray

SSI Waiver

I filed an SSI waiver on the advice of my local SSA office. The SSI payments that I was entitled to covered the 5 month waiting period from the date I was determined disabled to the first date that I filed. I was turned down 3 times over a 3 year period, and then approved by a judge. Waiving the SSI was a good move because they require you to track down all of the individuals/agencies that have helped you financially during that time frame so they can deduct that amount from the SSI. This process slows things WAY down. SSI can be a lot of trouble if you will be getting SSDI too because the SSA keeps close watch on how and what you spend the SSI on and puts limits as to how much money and assets you can have.
Turning down the SSI(if you have been approved for SSDI too) will not affect the amounts you receive from SSDI.
I doesn't matter what you have in assets or in the bank, SSDI will always send your monthly pay and your back pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">