• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

widow benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frankyrod13

Hi my name is frank
and i am from Ohio, my grandfather died in 2004 and my grandmother
just recently began receiving social security survivor benefits, she still
works and was told that she makes to much money. She makes less than
20,000 a year. They are no taking the monthly check away for several months.
My question is can social security really take away her benefits if she makes
to much money?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BL

SSA.GOV

How much is a working widow allowed to earn without losing any Social Security widow's benefits?

Answer
The law that determines what happens when you work and get benefits at the same time was changed, effective January 2000. This change in law applies to widow(er)s as well as retired workers. While you're working, your benefit amount will be reduced only until you reach your full retirement age. Full retirement age for earnings test purposes is currently age 65 and 10 months for persons born 1/2/42 through 1/1/43. We will use this formula to determine how much your benefit must be reduced:

If you are under full retirement age when you start getting your Social Security payments, $1 in benefits will be deducted for each $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2009 that limit is $14,160; for 2008, it is $13,560.
In the year you reach your full retirement age $1 in benefits will be deducted for each $3 you earn above a different limit. In that year, we only count earnings before the month you reach your full benefit retirement age. For 2009, this other limit is $37,680; for 2008, it is $36,120.
Starting with the month you reach full retirement age you will get your benefits with NO limit on your earnings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">