• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife approved for SSDI What are possible benefits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BMS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My wife had her disability determination hearing today for her psychiatric disorders and to my surprise it was approved! We had no attorney but the state doctor agreed she was unable to maintain employment and the judge approved it. She was 23 at the time she applied and has been disabled since May 2011. During the her insured period she earned 11 work credits by the time her disability period began and during that time period the maximum possible credits she could have earned would have been work credits 12. The judge gave no indication of how much she would be awarded or how long that would take. I am curious if anybody had any idea how much her benefits would be or when they would begin. The doctor stated 20 or so conditions that would qualify her and only 2 were not present and many marked were severe. Can anybody give us an idea of what to expect? Her claim was filed May 15th, 2011 and was finally approved August 9th 2013. Any helpful information would be appreciated.

single317dad

http://www.ssa.gov/planners/benefitcalculators.htm

The amount should also be listed on the Social Security statement received once a year in the mail.

Onderzoek

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My wife had her disability determination hearing today for her psychiatric disorders and to my surprise it was approved! We had no attorney but the state doctor agreed she was unable to maintain employment and the judge approved it. She was 23 at the time she applied and has been disabled since May 2011. During the her insured period she earned 11 work credits by the time her disability period began and during that time period the maximum possible credits she could have earned would have been work credits 12. The judge gave no indication of how much she would be awarded or how long that would take. I am curious if anybody had any idea how much her benefits would be or when they would begin. The doctor stated 20 or so conditions that would qualify her and only 2 were not present and many marked were severe. Can anybody give us an idea of what to expect? Her claim was filed May 15th, 2011 and was finally approved August 9th 2013. Any helpful information would be appreciated.
The ALJ never makes payment decisions, doesn't know how to make a check appear. That is the job of the payment center. Once the decision is WRITTEN, the payment center will start and it could 30-90 days to be fully resolved.

kjsteele

The ALJ never makes payment decisions, doesn't know how to make a check appear. That is the job of the payment center. Once the decision is WRITTEN, the payment center will start and it could 30-90 days to be fully resolved.
The amount of the ssdi payment is related to the amount she earned while working and the number of quarters worked. If the monthly amount comes to less than $710 per month, she should be able to receive SSI in an amount to bring it to at least that much. Note that SSDI is not reduced based on income unless her income is more than $1,000 per month. SSI will be reduced based on any income she receives from other sources.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">