• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will he qualify?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sunshine603

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida
My 23 year old nephew has been having problems for a few years and he was recently diagnosed as having bipolar disorder and anxiety disorder and has been put on daily medication. He also has a heart problem that he will need surgery for. He has, unfortunately, spent the last 4 or 5 years partying, drinking, smoking, drugs, etc. However, he has not done anything since April when he started having severe panic attacks, thought he was having heart attack, many times to ER, etc. He had to drop out of school because he couldn't handle it and has had 4 jobs in 3 months. He has such anger management issues and doesn't know how to deal with people and the real world and he keeps losing his jobs because of his inability to cope. He just started seeing a counselor, he wants help and to change, but he is afraid of everything. The counselor told him to apply for SSD until he had enough treatment to be able to function in the work force. But since he is only 23 and has barely worked, will he qualify? What other avenues are available for him? Thank you in advance for any input/advice/suggestions you can provide.

M

mines2

I have the same situation with my ex-daughter in law. In laymans terms...
he needs to apply for ssi not disability. and must have been seen by a (same)Dr. for at least 6 consecutive months..to show medical problems.
SSA will usually deny 3 times before certifying, meaning appeals, appeals, appeals.
But if he has medical records uptodate, he should be able to qualify.
My ex-daughter in law, decided to disappear and continue to get in trouble so she did not go thru with the SSI.
Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">