• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Working and SSI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Boogey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I currently receive SSI benefits (no SSDI). My illness is in remission at the moment and I would like to try working. The potential job I think would be minimum wage and probably part time so not sure if it would qualify for above the SGA. What I have read about working on disability confuses me because they switch the SSI and SSDI around so much. My questions are:

-If I earn below the SGA amount, can I continue to receive a lesser amount of benefits?

-Does the 'trial work period' only apply to those receiving SSDI?

-What happens if I become sick again and unable to work? Will I have to go through the whole process of application again? If I earn below the SGA will my amount increase again?

-If this happens, can I apply for SSDI because I had a job?

I'm planning on talking to social security myself but I would like to know what I'm getting into before I go to work, considering that my illness is the type that can return at any time. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I currently receive SSI benefits (no SSDI). My illness is in remission at the moment and I would like to try working. The potential job I think would be minimum wage and probably part time so not sure if it would qualify for above the SGA. What I have read about working on disability confuses me because they switch the SSI and SSDI around so much. My questions are:

-If I earn below the SGA amount, can I continue to receive a lesser amount of benefits?

-Does the 'trial work period' only apply to those receiving SSDI?

-What happens if I become sick again and unable to work? Will I have to go through the whole process of application again? If I earn below the SGA will my amount increase again?

-If this happens, can I apply for SSDI because I had a job?

I'm planning on talking to social security myself but I would like to know what I'm getting into before I go to work, considering that my illness is the type that can return at any time. Thank you in advance for your advice.
You'd need to have enough qualifying "quarters" to qualify for SSDI.

You can read more here: https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-work-ussi.htm

And here: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10095.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">