• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1,000. ticket....ouch!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stars_in_june

What is the name of your state? WAshington state

I am 20 years old and was cited yesterday for throwing a lit cigarette out the window.
I don't have an ashtray in my car and I usually carry a bottle with some water in it to put them in but I had just washed my car interior that morning and threw out the bottle and had not replaced it yet.

There are a couple of errors on my ticket including my drivers license # and the officer also put 2 different dates on it with only one being correct. Is there a chance on getting dismissed on this if I go to court? Also should I take it to court anyway to try to get the fine dropped some and if so how much do you think they will take off? Also will they accept payments? I dont make enough to be paying such a huge amount...... that will take me forever to pay.

Please help

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
stars_in_june said:
There are a couple of errors on my ticket including my drivers license # and the officer also put 2 different dates on it with only one being correct. Is there a chance on getting dismissed on this if I go to court?
Make sure that you tell the Court that the officer wrote your d/l # down wrong before he handed you the ticket and also make sure to point out which date is correct.

Y

ylen13

get a lawyer and fight it. It will cost you less to get a lawyer then pay the ticket.

loveumms

ylen13 said:
get a lawyer and fight it. It will cost you less to get a lawyer then pay the ticket.

I wouldn't be taking law advice - or any other advice - from this poster. They can't spell appropriately, can't use the English language properly, spread false rumors about doctors and have absolutely positively NO class or reliability.

Y

ylen13

loveumms said:
I wouldn't be taking law advice - or any other advice - from this poster. They can't spell appropriately, can't use the English language properly, spread false rumors about doctors and have absolutely positively NO class or reliability.
are you enjoying spamming?

CdwJava

ylen13 said:
On the other hand, he could be out one or two thousand dollars for an attorney AND a thousand more dollars for the fine.

- Carl

Y

ylen13

CdwJava said:
On the other hand, he could be out one or two thousand dollars for an attorney AND a thousand more dollars for the fine.

- Carl
It will cost thousands of dollars to fight littering ticket?

CdwJava

ylen13 said:
It will cost thousands of dollars to fight littering ticket?
There are traffic attorneys that will make an appearance on traffic matters for $750 or so ... if the OP is lucky enough to have one of these traffic clinic lawyers in his area, they might do that. But if he wants to put up a real defense, he will have to pay more. I have heard of billable hours ranging between $90 and $250 per hour - depending on the attorney. I expect a retainer would be between $1,500 and $2,500 up front ... and there is no guarantee of a win! So, as I said, he could (and likely will) pay for both the attorney and the fine.

- Carl

FarmerJ

If your gonna have that much trouble paying ask the judge if some of the fine can be done as community service road side cleaning . the worst the judge can do is say
NO!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
LSCAP said:
In NC the fine is "up to 1000.00

this is for your state. Wish you luck.

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/swfa/litter/fines.html

My personal opinion is its minor infraction. I once saw an idiot toss
a glass bottle out onto I95. Would have liked to seen him caught.
Your personal opinion doesn't matter truthfully. And cigarettes can cause bigger fires. Especially when certain areas are overly dry and can be ignited by just a spark.
As Smokey said, "Only YOU can prevent forest fires!" I miss Smokey.

gawm

Set up a payment plan with the court, quit smoking, then use all the money you are saving on cigarettes to pay the fine. You'll be paid off in no time and be a lot healthier.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">