• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1 Day Suspended Registration in Upstate NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robes

New York - so last fall I changed my car insurance company. The old insurance policy was canceled the same day the new one was purchased. However, apparently the new policy didn't start until 12:01 the NEXT day - so a month later I got a confusing letter from the NYS DMV saying that I had a "lapse in coverage" and I will have my registration "suspended for 1 day", and I owe them a civil penalty of $8 for the lapse.

I got pulled over this afternoon (I didn't do anything, they've got these new high-tech scanners on the cop cars here that just run the license plate against the system and the computer tells them to pull people over) and the officer told me that it had been suspended since November. So I don't know what the "one day suspension" deal was about (I still have the confusing letter in my possession).

I have a court date for early February and I REALLY don't want to have this on my record (since its a misdemeanor). Granted I am guilty of not paying my $8, which I will go to the DMV tomorrow morning and take care of - at least that will lift my suspension (that I didn't know I HAD).

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation or what I should say / bring to the court date?

I feel the whole thing is ridiculous, but the judge might not agree...What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

While I was at the DMV getting my registration reinstated, I'd check to make sure my driver's license wasn't also suspended.

patstew

I got pulled over this afternoon (I didn't do anything, they've got these new high-tech scanners on the cop cars here that just run the license plate against the system and the computer tells them to pull people over) and the officer told me that it had been suspended since November. So I don't know what the "one day suspension" deal was about (I still have the confusing letter in my possession).
What's the date on the letter?

Does it give you the date of the one-day suspension?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">