• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

10 over in Wisconsin - What happens if I don't pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

10over

I'm an Ontario, Canada resident and got a 65 in a 55 in Wisconsin last week - 186.00. What happens if I just plain don't pay. Driving in Wisconsin is not a concern but I really would like to stay out of jail when I travel to other states and/or avoid potential problems with US customs. I know the safe thing to do is pay up but I really don't want to make a financial contribution to the tax collector's in the highway patrol cars.

Man, I can understand why trucks are so popular on the US highways.

Thanks in advance, happy motoring.

US + Canada = BFFL

cepe10

I'd pay the extortion if you can't make it back to challenge it. not worth it to never be able to go through WI...

10over

In over 50 years, I've only driven in WI 1 day - 1 ticket. If I'm ever in Wisconsin, I'll be sure to let someone else drive. Would not paying have any other consequences? ie. in other States or at Customs.

racer72

Wisconsin is not part of the Non Resident Violators Compact, a federal statute that allows states to exchange information about traffic violations of folks that are not residents of the state in which they are cited. But, and this is a big but, Wisconsin does report those that do not pay their citation to the compact. The hazard you then face is being pulled over in another US state and having a warrant show up for the unpaid ticket. You would then face arrest and having your vehicle impounded. Unless you never plan on driving in the States again, don't pay the ticket.

10over

Thanks racer72, that's just what I didn't want to hear. There is no posiblity that I will not drive in the States again and in my 07 WRX STI - I will likely pass a few pick-up trucks. After paying the fine, I think I should look into a radar detector - illegal in Ontario - any suggestions?

cepe10

Radar detectors do not work. If they go off, that means you've already been tagged.

Your assuming the LEO is not tagging vehicles in front of you....:)

A good radar/laser unit works very well from that aspect. Also, having your own independent reading of what speed you are going when you are measured is nice.:)

To the op even a low priced cobra works fairly well, i would get the radar and laser unit though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">