• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

10+years old speeding ticket-Driving with Suspended license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MMM613

New York

Hi,

I have a 10+ years old speeding ticket from New Castle, NY. Just recently as a result of a very minor traffic accident in a shopping mall's parking I was issued "Driving with a suspended license" criminal ticket.
1. Is there a way to fight the speeding ticket arguing that it is too old?
I barely remember sending "not guilty" plea, and never heared from them since. Also this suspention never showed up during 10 years. - Just a half a year ago I was ticketed for "no brakes light" and the cop never mentioned the suspention
2. What can I argue in the "suspended license" court hearing? ( For example can I argue that driving in a parking lot is not on the public street?) I got a fax from New Castle stating that I responded to the speeding ticket and the new hearing date is set for February.
3. Can I legaly drive to the suspended license court hearing?
Thank you very much!

seniorjudge

1. Is there a way to fight the speeding ticket arguing that it is too old?
A: No.

2. What can I argue in the "suspended license" court hearing? ( For example can I argue that driving in a parking lot is not on the public street?) I got a fax from New Castle stating that I responded to the speeding ticket and the new hearing date is set for February.
A: Do everything you need to do to get your license reinstated by the time you go to court.

3. Can I legaly drive to the suspended license court hearing?
A: No.

I_Got_Banned

I barely remember sending "not guilty" plea, and never heared from them since.
Well, now you have... It was still your responsibility to ensure that your old citation was cleared either by paying the fine or calling/going to court and going the distance. An obvious case of "ignoring it doesn't make it go away". That only works with pimples (my Mom used to always say...)

Also this suspention never showed up during 10 years.
It doesn't mean it didn't exist!

- Just a half a year ago I was ticketed for "no brakes light" and the cop never mentioned the suspention.
He probably never ran your license. They are not obligated to do so for every stop.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">