• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

101 in a 55, knocked down to 75 in a 55, evading police, Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

APN

Well, the title pretty much shows my situation. Without giving out more information about myself, I'm still a minor, and was arrested and recieved these two tickets.

CC. 675 ACT. 11 /SEC 204 - Flee Evade Police
Speeding violation - 75/55

What am I facing here and what are my options?

I live in Illinois.

Which way should I plead?

APN

Sounds like "GUILTY AS HELL, your Honor" would be appropriate...

Makes me wish that lashes with a whip was still available.
I'm sorry, but if you think I went speeding down the road at 120mph to run from the cops, you have the wrong idea. I pulled onto a side-street and hid, got caught, and I am now asking for help.

I never once said that what I did was right.

JIMinCA

You're going to want a lawyer representing you, kid.

Normally, I get really annoyed when people say "you need a lawyer" on this forum because: 1) It is the obvious response that the OP probably already knows and 2) It is usually overkill to hire a lawyer for an infraction

However, I don't think what you are talking about is an infraction. There could be jail time involved. And, you are young enough that you may not see the seriousness of this. When a lawyer tells you he wants a $1500 retainer, you are probably going to go cheap. You'll likely regret that decision.

Do what Occultist said. Hire a lawyer and get advice from him.

Ozark_Sophist

If the speed had not been knocked down, you would be facing an A Misdemeanor with up to a year in jail and $2,500 fine plus court costs (625 ILCS 5/11‑601.5). If you contest, the officer could amend the ticket to reinstate your 101 in a 55.

As to the eluding:
(625 ILCS 5/11‑204) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11‑204)
Sec. 11‑204. Fleeing or attempting to elude a peace officer.
(a) Any driver or operator of a motor vehicle who, having been given a visual or audible signal by a peace officer directing such driver or operator to bring his vehicle to a stop, wilfully fails or refuses to obey such direction, increases his speed, extinguishes his lights, or otherwise flees or attempts to elude the officer, is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. The signal given by the peace officer may be by hand, voice, siren, red or blue light. Provided, the officer giving such signal shall be in police uniform, and, if driving a vehicle, such vehicle shall display illuminated oscillating, rotating or flashing red or blue lights which when used in conjunction with an audible horn or siren would indicate the vehicle to be an official police vehicle. Such requirement shall not preclude the use of amber or white oscillating, rotating or flashing lights in conjunction with red or blue oscillating, rotating or flashing lights as required in Section 12‑215 of Chapter 12.
(b) Upon receiving notice of such conviction the Secretary of State shall suspend the drivers license of the person so convicted for a period of not more than 6 months for a first conviction and not more than 12 months for a second conviction.
(c) A third or subsequent violation of this Section is a Class 4 felony.
(Source: P.A. 93‑120, eff. 1‑1‑04.)

(625 ILCS 5/11‑204.1) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11‑204.1)
Sec. 11‑204.1. Aggravated fleeing or attempt to elude a peace officer.
(a) The offense of aggravated fleeing or attempting to elude a peace officer is committed by any driver or operator of a motor vehicle who flees or attempts to elude a peace officer, after being given a visual or audible signal by a peace officer in the manner prescribed in subsection (a) of Section 11‑204 of this Code, and such flight or attempt to elude:
(1) is at a rate of speed at least 21 miles per hour
over the legal speed limit;

(2) causes bodily injury to any individual;
(3) causes damage in excess of $300 to property; or
(4) involves disobedience of 2 or more official
traffic control devices.

(b) Any person convicted of a first violation of this Section shall be guilty of a Class 4 felony. Upon notice of such a conviction the Secretary of State shall forthwith revoke the driver's license of the person so convicted, as provided in Section 6‑205 of this Code. Any person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of this Section shall be guilty of a Class 3 felony, and upon notice of such a conviction the Secretary of State shall forthwith revoke the driver's license of the person convicted, as provided in Section 6‑205 of the Code.
(c) The motor vehicle used in a violation of this Section is subject to seizure and forfeiture as provided in Sections 36‑1 and 36‑2 of the Criminal Code of 1961.
(Source: P.A. 93‑120, eff. 1‑1‑04.)
Which if you note, the officer was extremely generous in reducing your speed to 75/55. If he left it at 101/55 or even made it 76/55, you would be facing a FELONY charge and seizure and forfeiture of your motor vehicle--in addition to several years in prison.

You face at least six month suspended. As you are a minor, don't expect to drive again until you are an adult.

APN

I concur, but the presence of injured passengers will likely change how the DA handles any plea requests. Just trying to get the whole story.
I gave the whole story...

Sped, turned twice to evade capture, got caught.... Didn't speed away at 200 mph, didn't pass go.

FlyingRon

Today's "I put a copy of me busting the law on YouTube" brought to you by teenagers who think Dodge Neons are sports cars.

The site fark.com frequently lists the results of prosecutions based on YouTube "confessions" with a special "dumbass" icon next to it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">