• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1180D speeding in NYS, 80 in 65 but it was a 45mph zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nycdarius

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was given a ticket with a violation code 1080D which is doing 80mph in a 65mph zone. The officer wrote on the ticket that i was doing 85mph in a 45mph zone. Does that mean anything and could I fight the ticket just based on the wrong speed code?

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was given a ticket with a violation code 1080D which is doing 80mph in a 65mph zone. The officer wrote on the ticket that i was doing 85mph in a 45mph zone. Does that mean anything and could I fight the ticket just based on the wrong speed code?
"Can" you? Absolutely, it is your constitutional right to do so.

Will you have any chance at winning using that strategy? Nope, not at all. At best, it should just result in you being charged with 15 over (instead of 35 over), which means less points, less fines, and no DRP.

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As we told you on your other thread, the code section you cited does NOT refer to a specific speed:

(d) 1. Except as provided in subdivision (g) of this section, whenever
maximum speed limits, other than school speed limits, have been
established as authorized in sections sixteen hundred twenty, sixteen
hundred twenty-two, sixteen hundred twenty-three, sixteen hundred
twenty-seven, sixteen hundred thirty, sixteen hundred forty-three,
sixteen hundred forty-four, sixteen hundred fifty-two, sixteen hundred
sixty-two-a, sixteen hundred sixty-three, and sixteen hundred seventy,
no person shall drive in excess of such maximum speed limits at any
time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
"Can" you? Absolutely, it is your constitutional right to do so.

Will you have any chance at winning using that strategy? Nope, not at all. At best, it should just result in you being charged with 15 over (instead of 35 over), which means less points, less fines, and no DRP.

Good luck.
OP is saying he was cited for doing 80 in a 65. OP then goes on to say it was actually a 45 zone. So, it goes from 15 over to 35 over...and OP thinks that helps :rolleyes:

It's a moot point though, OP is wrong about the code section he was cited for.

You Are Guilty

OP is saying he was cited for doing 80 in a 65. OP then goes on to say it was actually a 45 zone. So, it goes from 15 over to 35 over...and OP thinks that helps :rolleyes:

It's a moot point though, OP is wrong about the code section he was cited for.
I saw the other thread well after I posted, but he does say the ticket is for 85 in a 45 (not 85 in a 65). Either way, its traffic lawyer time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">