• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1180D speeding in NYS, 80 in 65 but it was a 45mph zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nycdarius

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was given a ticket with a violation code 1080D which is doing 80mph in a 65mph zone. The officer wrote on the ticket that i was doing 85mph in a 45mph zone. Does that mean anything and could I fight the ticket just based on the wrong speed code?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

xylene

Either way, you were MASSIVELY over the limit, and you need a very experienced traffic lawyer to protect your licence from suspension and heavy fines and fees.

DO NOT ATTEMPT A SELF DEFENSE AND BLOW IT

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I was given a ticket with a violation code 1080D which is doing 80mph in a 65mph zone.
It's "1180D", and that section does not mention specific speeds - it is simply exceeding the speed limit in a posted speed zone.

The officer wrote on the ticket that i was doing 85mph in a 45mph zone.
Well which is it? The bottom line is what was the posted speed limit?

Are you saying it's a posted 65 but he wrote 45? That seems like an odd mistake.

If this is the case and the officer realizes it he can amend the charge in court to the correct speed limit and proceed. If he doesn't then be prepared to present evidence as to what the correct speed limit is.

nycdarius

no... I apologize. The posted speed limit is 45mph. The code given is 1180D which is 80mph in a 65mph zone. I apparently was going 85mph. Since the code is for 80mph in a 65mph... and the ticket also states that I was doing 85mph in a 45mph zone... Does the 1180D still stand?

Ozark_Sophist

That section does not list speeds. Where are you coming from with your argument? You could be facing up to 30 days in jail; you need an attorney.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
(d) 1. Except as provided in subdivision (g) of this section, whenever
maximum speed limits, other than school speed limits, have been
established as authorized in sections sixteen hundred twenty, sixteen
hundred twenty-two, sixteen hundred twenty-three, sixteen hundred
twenty-seven, sixteen hundred thirty, sixteen hundred forty-three,
sixteen hundred forty-four, sixteen hundred fifty-two, sixteen hundred
sixty-two-a, sixteen hundred sixty-three, and sixteen hundred seventy,
no person shall drive in excess of such maximum speed limits at any
time.

No specific speeds are listed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">