• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

143 MPH ticket -- No WAY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Handcoc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

14-219C statue.

Lidar measured my car at 143 MPH on I 95.

14-219C makes it a prima facia result.

I was going 72 MPH ... LIDAR measured at 143 MPH.

Even the cop though this was wrong but "I can't argue with the LTI 20-20" is all he said. But he only gave me the speeding ticket, nothing else.

I drive a Honda Insight, 3 cly 2 door car with a 0.9 L engine. There is no way this car can get to 143 MPH.

I got this ticket in MAR 11 & have plead not guilty & went through a magistrate trial and was found guilty earlier this week. I filed a trial de novo today.

The first judge on monday did not care about anything, just asked who is going to plead not guilty wait a while. After 5 hrs I had my sham trial and was found guilty. Everyone was found guilty. If the cop was not there, they would say "sit down", we need to call the cop & he would show up about 20 min. later. So I was there all day.

I called the magistrate an idiot for thinking my car could reach 140+MPH. He berated me for about 3 minutes. I did not even hear what the fine was ...

The magistrate asked me if I could pay today & I told him I would never pay. And he said, oh, then you are filing a de novo trial request? I said yes. I did not even know you could do this...one of the bailiffs told me to go to the clerk's office and fill out a form & that it was automatic in this court...took the paperwork home and filed it today.

I saw the cop outside the courtroom and told him off & tore his ticket up in front of him. I cursed him out outside the courthouse.

I am not happy at all, pretty much pissed off. On monday I was so angry, never have been so angry in my life! I'm still about 90% of that anger level when I think about it.

Question I have:
what is needed to overcome this "prima facia" evidence of the Lidar reading?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

14-219C statue.

Lidar measured my car at 143 MPH on I 95.

14-219C makes it a prima facia result.

I was going 72 MPH ... LIDAR measured at 143 MPH.

Even the cop though this was wrong but "I can't argue with the LTI 20-20" is all he said. But he only gave me the speeding ticket, nothing else.

I drive a Honda Insight, 3 cly 2 door car with a 0.9 L engine. There is no way this car can get to 143 MPH.

I got this ticket in MAR 11 & have plead not guilty & went through a magistrate trial and was found guilty earlier this week. I filed a trial de novo today.

The first judge on monday did not care about anything, just asked who is going to plead not guilty wait a while. After 5 hrs I had my sham trial and was found guilty. Everyone was found guilty. If the cop was not there, they would say "sit down", we need to call the cop & he would show up about 20 min. later. So I was there all day.

I called the magistrate an idiot for thinking my car could reach 140+MPH. He berated me for about 3 minutes. I did not even hear what the fine was ...

The magistrate asked me if I could pay today & I told him I would never pay. And he said, oh, then you are filing a de novo trial request? I said yes. I did not even know you could do this...one of the bailiffs told me to go to the clerk's office and fill out a form & that it was automatic in this court...took the paperwork home and filed it today.

I saw the cop outside the courtroom and told him off & tore his ticket up in front of him. I cursed him out outside the courthouse.

I am not happy at all, pretty much pissed off. On monday I was so angry, never have been so angry in my life! I'm still about 90% of that anger level when I think about it.

Question I have:
what is needed to overcome this "prima facia" evidence of the Lidar reading?
I think you have a pretty good case if you can PROVE the physical impossibility for your vehicle to travel anywhere NEAR that fast.

With that said - you really know how to make friends in the system, huh? :rolleyes:

Handcoc

I think you have a pretty good case if you can PROVE the physical impossibility for your vehicle to travel anywhere NEAR that fast.

With that said - you really know how to make friends in the system, huh? :rolleyes:
I have no desire to "make friends in the system". No one can even travel 140+MPH on I95 during mid-day ... too much traffic, it simply will not allow someone to go that fast. And my little put-put car cannot go to 140+MPH. The tires would explode from the heat !

Zigner

I have no desire to "make friends in the system". No one can even travel 140+MPH on I95 during mid-day ... too much traffic, it simply will not allow someone to go that fast. And my little put-put car cannot go to 140+MPH. The tires would explode from the heat !
Those enemies in the system happen to be the ones that work every single day with the people that are going to be deciding this in the future.

randomguy

You are guilty as charged, pay up. So you want to fight this, fine hie a lawyer and spend thousands of dollars. That is the only thing that will result in you wining.

Handcoc

You are guilty as charged, pay up. So you want to fight this, fine hie a lawyer and spend thousands of dollars. That is the only thing that will result in you wining.
Thanks for the hope randomguy. 140+MPH, guilty as charged, I understand your viewpoint.

Its like a bicycle going 85 MPH, it just is not going to happen.

Nobody has really helped me here concerning this abortion but I have posted on other boards and have gotten some good ideas.

The system is a rip-off of course. I intend on doing some discovery & depose the cop; see where that takes me ... the cop knows I was not going 140+.

kutorei

Page 314 of the 2010 user manual says:

Speed Limiter

"When the vehicle reaches the maximum speed in any shift position,
you may feel the engine cut in and out. This is caused by a limiter (112mph, 180 km/h) in the engine’s computer controls. The engine will run normally when you reduce thespeed to below the maximum."
---------------------------

Your car cannot go physically faster than 112mph by what Honda has set. Also, is the LIDAR calibrated correctly etc. You can argue against the prima facie, but you'll need an Engineering and Traffic Survey. If you were on a highway, it won't matter because max speed on highways is 65mph.

Also, if you've already gone trial de novo, you're pretty much done. Appeals only allow you to restate your case w/ appropriate case law; it doesn't allow for new evidence.

perhaps you ought to file a formal complaint, stating the physical impossibility?

Last edited:

Zigner

Speed Limiter

you may feel the engine cut in and out. This is caused by a limiter (112mph, 180 km/h) in the engine’s computer controls. The engine will run normally when you reduce thespeed to below the maximum."

Your car cannot go physically faster than 112mph by what Honda has set. Also, is the radar calibrated correctly? You can argue against the prima facie, but you'll need an Engineering and Traffic Survey. If you were on a highway, it won't matter because max speed on highways is generally ~70mph.

Also, if you've already gone trial de novo, you're pretty much done. Appeals only allow you to restate your case w/ appropriate case law; it doesn't allow for new evidence.

perhaps you ought to file a formal complaint, stating the physical impossibility?
Assuming that the OP hasn't disabled that feature. Not saying that he DID, but a copy of the user's manual may not be sufficient.

ETA: Additionally, it appears that your post is based on information for a different state. Please make sure that what you post actually relates to the op's state.

Handcoc

Speed Limiter

Your car cannot go physically faster than 112mph by what Honda has set. Also, is the radar calibrated correctly?

I doubt that I95 would have any traffic engr issues; and CT outlawed officers using RADAR.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Of course, 72mph is still well over the speed limit, Handjob. You're still guilty of speeding. Get over it.

justalayman

Thanks for the hope randomguy. 140+MPH, guilty as charged, I understand your viewpoint.

Its like a bicycle going 85 MPH, it just is not going to happen.

Nobody has really helped me here concerning this abortion but I have posted on other boards and have gotten some good ideas.

The system is a rip-off of course. I intend on doing some discovery & depose the cop; see where that takes me ... the cop knows I was not going 140+.
I think you need to find a very high cliff, a radar unit, and a video camera.

Stand at the bottom of the cliff with the camera and radar. Have somebody shove the car off the cliff. Videotape the vehicle showing that even terminal speed is less than 143 mph. If you don't win with that proof, there is a problem in the court.

I doubt that I95 would have any traffic engr issues; and CT outlawed officers using RADAR.
what does that have to do with anything? You said LIDAR was used.

OHRoadwarrior

Liar, Liar, Pants on fire, is not an affirmative defense.

Go to your dealer. He may be able to read computer as to highest speed vehicle has been run, is capable of doing, and whether cars computer is original or been removed. You may need to have them testify in person.

Don't expect to walk away. Expect to be found guilty of a lessor charge.

davew128

Of course, 72mph is still well over the speed limit, Handjob. You're still guilty of speeding. Get over it.
OP is not accused of driving 72 though. It should quite easy to introduce evidence and provide proof there is no possible way the car was moving at 143 and do so in a manner without testifying about what the actual speed was. He is essentially driving a large sized lawn mower.

Handcoc

Speed limit is 65 , driving 75 MPH is pretty normal. Due to traffic, I was going slightly slower. I am not guilty of 140+MPH nimrod.

I don't know if you were making a lewd suggestion to me or not but I am not gay like you so PASS.

Handcoc

He is essentially driving a large sized lawn mower.
Ha, close. Car weighs 1600 lbs. But 70 MPG, you can't beat it ! And the chicks dig the car.

Only other car I have driven with a smaller engine was a Honda Z600 with a 600cc engine. Another 2 door/2 seat model.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">