• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

15 year old speeding ticket in Riverside, California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

riversideCA

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
I got a speeding ticket in May 1990 after answering a breakin call at the persistance of the company I worked for. I left in a hurry with just pj's and a jacket. I got a ticket for speeding, no license, no proof of insurance....I told my company about it and they said they would take care of it when I get the bail amount. The bail amount came before the ticketed court date and I turn it over to my company and that was that. today March 9th 2005 I got a statement from IRS that said the superior court intercepted my tax refund because of an unpaid ticket. I know I should have made sure but isn't there a limit on how long they can collect a moving violation?

S

seniorjudge

I know I should have made sure but isn't there a limit on how long they can collect a moving violation?

Standard answer on statute of limitations:

The statutes on limitations is, among other things, a statute telling the government how long it has to file a criminal charge. It stops running the day the charge is filed.

This is not a game of tag where, if you can keep from getting caught, you are home free.

Some states and jurisdictions will pull old warrants after awhile; some states and jurisdictions keep warrants active forever.

My best advice: surrender.

riversideCA

looking for a specific law or code

Riverside, CA

I was not looking for an opinion but a specific law or code that gives the City of Riverside, CA. the right to take my state refund on a speeding ticket that I believed was paid, and also the DMV and countless police officers in that city.

A

absconder

There aint no damn law, its your responsibility to follow up on any tickets you get. If they have their money it should be over with if your refund covered it. Im surprised your DL wasnt suspended. If it were me Id be finding out if it was paid in full.

S

seniorjudge

riversideCA said:
Riverside, CA

I was not looking for an opinion but a specific law or code that gives the City of Riverside, CA. the right to take my state refund on a speeding ticket that I believed was paid, and also the DMV and countless police officers in that city.
Your "belief" counts for nothing. A paid receipt might.

racer72

absconder said:
There aint no damn law, its your responsibility to follow up on any tickets you get. If they have their money it should be over with if your refund covered it. Im surprised your DL wasnt suspended. If it were me Id be finding out if it was paid in full.
I wouldn't be surprised if his current license is suspended. Of course the OP won't find out till the next time he is pulled over.

CdwJava

riversideCA said:
Riverside, CA

Most citations are turned over to collections if they are not paid. It could be that they had an order authorizing garnishment or seizure of wages for a long time and only now acted on it or discovered you. The check could not have been given to them unless they had a proper order authorizing it.

Your only hope here is to get a lawyer and fight it ... if the check is big enough, it might be worth it. But, if - as I suspect - the attorney fees will be greater than the refund, then it might not be worth it at all.

- Carl

riversideCA

15 year old speeding ticket

In 1992 the Riverside police dept. investigated me for suspicion of rape at gun point in a 5 speed while I was working in a restaurant. If the ticket was not paid for wouldn't it have shown up with the DMV? The police investigation? The Insurance Company? If it did not show up isn't that a positive sign that it was paid for? If it did not get there for 15 years would not that be considered a "flaw, crack, black hole” in the system and it could have possible been misfiled? Believe me I am not trying to shriek a responsibility but 15 years with no follow up warrant or notices!!

Yes I was pulled over 2 days ago for a broken tail light that was not broken. After that was straightened out I ask the officer if I HAD ANY WARRENTS OR OUTSTANDING TICKETS, LICENSE SUSPENDED OR ANYTHING----HIS ANSWER: NO.

I contacted the superior court about the ticket and they wanted me to pay the balance for the ticket and the warrant and plead guilty. I also contacted a free lawyer service and explained they said it sounds like a mistake on the courts part, however I need to go before the judge to explain and leave it at that and abide by his/her decision.

My view on the situation is that when I broke a window in 1964 with a baseball and the police were involved, I made restitution but because I don’t have a receipt for the window I am guilty of never paying for it? If I slip through the system for 15 years, registering cars, driver’s license, and insurance---why didn’t that ticket and surely a warrant ever show up? I have lived in this city for 17 years; getting stopped at least once a year for something and still no ticket.

Maybe the ticket was not paid, and I slipped into an alternate universe; never paying taxes, being called for jury duty, receiving mail etc…and then suddenly I emerged and they got me!

I’m going to court.

S

seniorjudge

riversideCA said:
In 1992 the Riverside police dept. investigated me for suspicion of rape at gun point in a 5 speed while I was working in a restaurant. If the ticket was not paid for wouldn't it have shown up with the DMV? The police investigation? The Insurance Company? If it did not show up isn't that a positive sign that it was paid for? If it did not get there for 15 years would not that be considered a "flaw, crack, black hole” in the system and it could have possible been misfiled? Believe me I am not trying to shriek a responsibility but 15 years with no follow up warrant or notices!!

Yes I was pulled over 2 days ago for a broken tail light that was not broken. After that was straightened out I ask the officer if I HAD ANY WARRENTS OR OUTSTANDING TICKETS, LICENSE SUSPENDED OR ANYTHING----HIS ANSWER: NO.

I contacted the superior court about the ticket and they wanted me to pay the balance for the ticket and the warrant and plead guilty. I also contacted a free lawyer service and explained they said it sounds like a mistake on the courts part, however I need to go before the judge to explain and leave it at that and abide by his/her decision.

My view on the situation is that when I broke a window in 1964 with a baseball and the police were involved, I made restitution but because I don’t have a receipt for the window I am guilty of never paying for it? If I slip through the system for 15 years, registering cars, driver’s license, and insurance---why didn’t that ticket and surely a warrant ever show up? I have lived in this city for 17 years; getting stopped at least once a year for something and still no ticket.

Maybe the ticket was not paid, and I slipped into an alternate universe; never paying taxes, being called for jury duty, receiving mail etc…and then suddenly I emerged and they got me!

I’m going to court.
In 1992 the Riverside police dept. investigated me for suspicion of rape at gun point in a 5 speed while I was working in a restaurant.

I give up: what are you talking about?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">