• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 yr old and going to court for speeding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Darkangel22

am i going to court?

I am 16 years old and i was pulled over for goin 47 in a 30. I found a lawyer and all that on my own with out my parents knowing about the ticket. My lawyer tells me that because of my age I may have to go to court with my parents. Do you know if this is true? please help

Last edited:

lwpat

Their insurance company is likely to tell your parents about the ticket. You need to go ahead and tell them yourself. This is just a minor ticket and will probably be reduced if you go to court.

Darkangel22

How would the insurance company know about the ticket? I hired the lawyer to go to court and get it moved down to a non moving violation so that it is not on my record... therefore wouldnt the insurance company not know about it?

JETX

Darkangel22 said:
I am 16 years old and i was pulled over for goin 47 in a 30. I found a lawyer and all that on my own with out my parents knowing about the ticket. My lawyer tells me that because of my age I may have to go to court with my parents. Do you know if this is true?
Yep, true.

CdwJava

You didn't mention what state this happened in. Some states may require parents, others may not.

And your insurance company will almost certainly find out about it if they ever pull your DMV record ... and for kids, you BET they're gonna be doing that periodically!

- Carl

Darkangel22

The state is Missouri ... but even if the insurance company does see that i recieved a ticket .. it will be most likly moved down to a non moving violation which they do not care about ( that is what I have been told, I have also been told that the insurance company only checks your record every 6 months and that my ticket will not show up till after my court date because that is when i will have been convicted of it, for definite - i have also hired a lawyer to go to court for me and try to have it moved down to a non moving violation.) would they still go and raise my insurance for that or even mention it?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">