• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 and out of state ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kylep6190

Hey I am 17 and I live in Vermont, but I got a speeding ticket in NH. I just got a letter from the NH court saying that I got 3 points for going 6-10 mph over. But in my state 6-10mph over is only 2 points. Will I get 2 or 3 points on my license? This is very important because if I get a 3 point ticket then I lose my junior operators license, but a 2 point and I am fine. In NH they just have to get 6 points to lose their junior operators license, so will I lose mine in VT?

The Occultist

NH will not assign points, but rather report the violation to your DMV. You need to contact your DMV and ask them how they handle violations reported from other states.

Hey There

kylep 10-9-07
I searched the internet for an hour, finally googled Drivers License Compact and came across the section that has the same information that the Occultist has given you in two sentences.

If the DMV in Vermont is notified per the Drivers Licence Compact
then Vermont will assign points according to THIER DMV system which would be 2 as you stated.

You can get your driving record for the past three years from the DMV for $6.00. You can't get your record by requesting it on the internet but you can request it by mail. If you're willing to wait in line you may be able to get it from your local DMV office.

Have you checked into the possibility of Traffic School to clear points
on your drivers' record? There should be a section in the vehicle codes of Vermont designating the rules for attending Traffic School.

Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">