• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 Y/O- 101 on a 70. HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

help a texan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

In June got a ticket for 89 on a 60. Paid it off.
Today got a ticket for 101 on a 70. CANNOT pay it off (insurance).
The limit for defensive driving is 25 over (mine is 31 over).

Can anyone offer ANY advice as to what I can do to get any leniency.

I know I am stupid for speeding that high- but I had reasons.

Any advice would be appreciated.

You Are Guilty

Can anyone offer ANY advice as to what I can do to get any leniency.
You're going to have to explain why you would be entitled to any "leniency", especially considering your prior history. The Court will not dismiss a ticket simply because you feel bad about it, or because money is tight.

If the ticket is that big an issue, your best bet will be to speak with (and maybe hire) a local traffic lawyer to help you. They can sometime swing deals that you would not be able to get on your own.

help a texan

You're going to have to explain why you would be entitled to any "leniency", especially considering your prior history. The Court will not dismiss a ticket simply because you feel bad about it, or because money is tight.

If the ticket is that big an issue, your best bet will be to speak with (and maybe hire) a local traffic lawyer to help you. They can sometime swing deals that you would not be able to get on your own.
Thanks for your response.
One more question: Is it possible for a state trooper to accurately radar a speed of a car on the opposite side of the freeway:

(YOU CAN ONLY SEE THIS TYPED PiC BY CLICKING REPLY FOR SOME REASON):
| | | |
| | | |
| Me | | |
| | | grass | |
| | | |
| | | | |
| | | Cop |
| | | |

After we had passed him on the opposite side, he took a U-Turn and came from behind (I was at 60 at this point- it was a good 45 seconds before we saw him behind us)
He also said he has me speeding on camera (which I think is a lie- I doubt the possibility of a camera on a cop car that films the opposite side on a highway. There was also 3 cars around me when he passed me- how did he know it was my car?

Any way to fight the ticket through the above- or should I just forget it and talk to judge with ticket lawyer?

Thanks...

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Thanks for your response.
One more question: Is it possible for a state trooper to accurately radar a speed of a car on the opposite side of the freeway:
Of course. The radar doesn't care whether there is grass between you and the cop.
There are ways to challenge the accuracy of radar but you are grasping at straws here.

After we had passed him on the opposite side, he took a U-Turn and came from behind (I was at 60 at this point- it was a good 45 seconds before we saw him behind us)
And the point of that is?
He also said he has me speeding on camera (which I think is a lie- I doubt the possibility of a camera on a cop car that films the opposite side on a highway. There was also 3 cars around me when he passed me- how did he know it was my car?
The camera sees pretty much what's out the front windshield. Depending on how he was parked he very well could see you with the camera. If he was specifically shooting radar at oncoming traffic he may well have positioned his car that way.

He doesn't need the camera anyhow. His testimony that he saw you and observed the radar reading is enough. By your own admission he was accurate.

Any way to fight the ticket through the above- or should I just forget it and talk to judge with ticket lawyer?
You do not 'talk to the judge" except at trial. Your lawyer may be able to mount some sort of defense, but they can generally tell you what your chances are on an initial consultation.

You'd have to lie in court that you weren't, in fact, speeding. Even if you were, they wouldn't believe you over the cop. With a history of being a young punk with no regard to driving at anything approaching a safe speed I'd not only give you leniency, I'd give you the absolute maximum sanctions that was at my disposal.

You're in a heap of trouble here, I'd give serious thought to the lawyer.

Some Random Guy

As for the relative positions of the cars, if the police officer was not directly in front of your car, then the radar will show a figure LOWER than the speed you were actually travelling. There is no way that the angle of shooting will result in an increased speed. Bringing this up in court will only make you look worse.

cyjeff

thanks for your 'help'. ticket was dismissed. ;)
BS.

Your court date didn't even come up yet. It has only been 4 days.

I am still curious about your reasons for traveling over 100 MPH.

Were you actually on fire or being chased by the undead at the time?

Some Random Guy

thanks for your 'help'. ticket was dismissed.
So were bribes paid or what? You were speeding 31 miles over the limit and got it dismissed before the court date without providing any legal defense. Do tell how this is possible.

You Are Guilty

I do you one better. Please post the name of the judge that "dismissed" the ticket and I will personally call his law clerk to get the details.

sakaluski

BS.

Your court date didn't even come up yet. It has only been 4 days.
It's totally possible that a court appearance was required just 4 days after the infraction. That seems consistent with more harsh MV offenses like this speeding ticket.

Calling BS on somebody is a great way to turn him off to sharing the details of his courtroom experience with us. He might have had a really good reason to win the compassion of the judge which we will probably never learn.
I believe him- What would motivate him to lie about a dismissal?

cyjeff

It's totally possible that a court appearance was required just 4 days after the infraction. That seems consistent with more harsh MV offenses like this speeding ticket.

Calling BS on somebody is a great way to turn him off to sharing the details of his courtroom experience with us. He might have had a really good reason to win the compassion of the judge which we will probably never learn.
I believe him- What would motivate him to lie about a dismissal?
Exactly what jurisdiction do you live in where you can score a court date within 4 days for a speeding ticket?

sakaluski

Exactly what jurisdiction do you live in where you can score a court date within 4 days for a speeding ticket?
I wouldn't really call it a score:rolleyes:

I was cited (uninsured veh) in NJ on the evening of January 7th (of this year) with a mandatory appearance required for a hearing on the evening of January 10th. When I called the court on January 9th to confirm that I was told that my hearing was moved from the evening session to the morning session of the 10th.

Granted the charge was potentially more serious than a speeding ticket, it was definitely required of me to show less than 3 full days after the citation.

Years ago I was cited for "failure to observe a signal" in NYC on the morning of December 19th with a court date on the evening of December 24:eek: and the court required that appearance as well. When I called that time the clerk told me she doubted there would be a courtroom session at that time but could not be sure and there was in fact a hearing.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">