• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

19 yr old daughter, driving alone with only permit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maneki

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

My daughter is 19 and therefore believes she knows everything. She has decided that she can drive by herself even though she only has a permit. I have advised her STRONGLY against this but she is 19 and this is her own car she's driving. She bought it, insured it, etc. My name is not listed anywhere on this car or insurance (except that I'm excluded from the insurance). Not looking for parenting advice her, just wondering if I can get in trouble for her driving her own car since she lives in my house. I've considered hiding her keys but she's an adult and it's her car... I just don't want to get caught up in anything if/when she gets caught and has to face the consequences.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Why is she still living in your house if she knows everything? If she can afford a car, then she can afford rent.

If she's pulled over for something minor, then no, you won't be in trouble legally.

However, if she's in an accident and causes property damage or worse, someone could try to pursue a civil suit against you.

maneki

Why is she still living in your house if she knows everything? If she can afford a car, then she can afford rent.

If she's pulled over for something minor, then no, you won't be in trouble legally.

However, if she's in an accident and causes property damage or worse, someone could try to pursue a civil suit against you.
That's a very good question... I've been encouraging her to get her own place but she doesn't have a job. She was able to buy the car because she was the beneficiary on a life insurance policy.

May I ask how I could be involved in a civil suit if she causes damage? I was afraid there could be a problem, I'm just wondering how it works?

LdiJ

That's a very good question... I've been encouraging her to get her own place but she doesn't have a job. She was able to buy the car because she was the beneficiary on a life insurance policy.

May I ask how I could be involved in a civil suit if she causes damage? I was afraid there could be a problem, I'm just wondering how it works?
I do not see how you could be held liable since she is a legal adult.

maneki

So the rest of you don't think I would be in trouble for what she did since she's an adult and it's her own vehicle?

maneki

Thank you. I'm relieved to hear that. Granted I'd be more relieved if she'd just stop driving alone without her license, but if she won't listen to me...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank you. I'm relieved to hear that. Granted I'd be more relieved if she'd just stop driving alone without her license, but if she won't listen to me...
Call the police and report her the next time she drives away from the house by herself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">