• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2.06 No U Turn / False Improsonment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brenden735

State - MD

I was heading north and realized I needed to turn around. So I turned left onto a side street that just appeared to be a parking lot. I stopped, put the car in reverse backed up into the road then went the other direction (there were no cars in sight). An officer pulled me over and gave me a citation for doing a u-turn and a hefty fine of $100.00. After he handed me the citation I told him that this was absurd and I have never heard of such a thing. I begged for a warning. Once I realized the officer was not going to let me off I decided to leave that was after he gave me the ticket, my registration and license back. I slowly pulled forward and as I was leaving the officer was demanding that I do not leave and I stated what are you going to ticket me for now? I left the other side of the parking lot and turned right. Basically heading back into the direction of the cop. He ran back into his car and then pulled into my lane slammed on his brakes and made me do the same. He got out of his car hurried up to my window and told me he was going to bring me to jail. FOR WHAT? He would not let me leave after he issued the citation. He pulled me back over and did it in an aggressive manner. I continued to plea my case and finally the office allowed me to leave but that was after I had to convince him not to arrest me. And on what grounds? I feel I was falsely improsoned and not able to leave.

Second of all the citation was written as 2.06 No U Turn. I did not do a u turn. Why wouldn't the ticket be written for Improper backing as after further research I found out that such a law "Improper Backing" exists. I was citated for the wrong offense.

What recourse do I have if any against this officer and how do I get a citation for turning around?

Last edited:

racer72

False inprisonment is being held by someone that does not have the authority to do so, the officer has the authority. And without hearing the other side of the story, I will reserve comment on the rest of the stop. The last time I used the word argumentive in a post, it hit a raw nerve, I don't want to that this time.

wirry1422

As Racer said, you were not falsely imprisoned. Next time you get stopped by a police officer for a traffic stop, do not leave until told to do so, or until officer turns off his lights and pulls away. You will avoid many problems in the future if you review the protocol for motorists to follow during stops, as printed by the dmv and available online from numerous sources. As for the other charge, you made a three-point turn, not a u-turn, therefore you are not guilty, but it is your word against the officer's. Appeal the citation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">