• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 cars pulled over in same speedtrap. One ticketed. The other only warned.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

On May 27, 2014, my daughter was pulled over during a speedtrap in front of her school. A friend of hers was in front of her and was, also, pulled over at the same time. When all was said and done, my daughter received a citation and fine (which she should have - not arguing that). However, the friend had misplaced her license so the officer had only written her a warning. Although we didn't think it was particularly "fair", we told our daughter to deal with it and learn from it. She paid the fine and we moved on.

Here's the rub: Our daughter's insurance rates are much higher due to the infraction (she's not eligible for safe driver discounting) and will be until May of 2017. It's a shame because she's actually my good driver - soon to be driving ambulances she's so on the ball.

So, my questions are:

Would we have had any leg to stand on by fighting the charge back in May 2014 based on the other driver only receiving a warning?

and

Is there any method for us to have the citation expunged early based on her clean record since this incident?

If there's no point, that's cool. Just want to hear your thoughts.

Thanks folks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

On May 27, 2014, my daughter was pulled over during a speedtrap in front of her school. A friend of hers was in front of her and was, also, pulled over at the same time. When all was said and done, my daughter received a citation and fine (which she should have - not arguing that). However, the friend had misplaced her license so the officer had only written her a warning. Although we didn't think it was particularly "fair", we told our daughter to deal with it and learn from it. She paid the fine and we moved on.

Here's the rub: Our daughter's insurance rates are much higher due to the infraction (she's not eligible for safe driver discounting) and will be until May of 2017. It's a shame because she's actually my good driver - soon to be driving ambulances she's so on the ball.

So, my questions are:

Would we have had any leg to stand on by fighting the charge back in May 2014 based on the other driver only receiving a warning?

and

Is there any method for us to have the citation expunged early based on her clean record since this incident?

If there's no point, that's cool. Just want to hear your thoughts.

Thanks folks.
No and no.

OHRoadwarrior

An officer is permitted to selectively enforce the law as long as he/she is not discriminating. Apparently your daughter is not as safe a driver as you thought if she is speeding in school zones.

An officer is permitted to selectively enforce the law as long as he/she is not discriminating. Apparently your daughter is not as safe a driver as you thought if she is speeding in school zones.
Thank you for clarifying.
Thank you for adding some snark as well...in context, the daughter with the single speeding ticket vs. the other with multiple to the point that I pulled back her license for a time is my "safer" driver - which is what I said. :rolleyes:

xylene

Lesson for your daughter/you/others - When you get a ticket, you fight it. The fine is not a learning experience.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The fact that someone else received a break does not entitle your daughter to one. Particularly not two years retroactively.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The "look at what that other person did" is not a defense.

I'll take a guess that without ID the other girl would have to be arrested (as in NY) and the officer didn't want to go there for something minor, so he wrote the warning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">