• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 expired registration tickets in 2 different counties.... double jeopardy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quiefanator1

Hi I live in the "great" state of Tennessee. Just before my tags expired in October, my engine blew and I had to buy a whole new one(which took a while to find). This new engine took a couple weeks to get put in and it wasnt a perfect fit so everything didnt match up. So to make a long story short... when it finally was working ( November 15) the first thing i did was bring it to marta to get the emissions tested so i could get my tags. But it failed, and through a series of unfortunate events i still havent gotten them taken care of. ie i lost my job and i cant afford to get it fixed. So a couple weeks into December i hit a sourbrighty checkpoint and they stop me for my tags, but when I showed them that I failed emissions, they just let me go. Then the day after Christmas I get pulled over and this lady gives me a ticket for expired tags, even though I showed her the emissions thing, and she informs me that I have 45 days to fix the problem. The next day, I get pulled over in a different county and I show the officer the ticket i had got the day before, and he let me go, but then tonight (jan 19) i get pulled over in a county that I don't have the ticket in, I show him the emissions test and the ticket I recieved from the other county, but he still gives me a ticket. and says that I should have just parked the car when I failed emissions, then saved up money to fix it (like i have 5 other cars at home with valid tags I can drive). This new ticket is $131 if I just pay it... I cant afford that... is there any way this is double jeopardy, since im getting ticketed for the same thing twice? Or are they in the right, and I could get yet another one if I keep driving around.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Occultist

The latter is correct, I'm afraid. Double Jeopardy refers to the same exact crime, which is not the case for you. You think because it's the same violation that it's the same crime, however, they can keep writing you tickets for every minute that passes, and none of them would be the same criminal act, because one crime occurred at 3:15, and then a crime occurred at 3:16, etc. You get what I'm saying?

sukharev

look, it's pretty simple - you had 3 wake-up calls, and you chose to ignore them. Next time you may loose the car altogether - if you somehow piss of the officer. Just get the thing fixed, stop making excuses.

quiefanator1

:( thats what I suspected...thx occultist...
and sukharev... I said I lost my job so I didnt just ignore what was going on... I just dont have the money to fix it right now.
thx for your help too breeze

I do have another question.... the first ticket I recieved said that I have 45 days to fix it and show the court I did, does that mean that county can still give me tickets?

seniorjudge

Q: I do have another question.... the first ticket I recieved said that I have 45 days to fix it and show the court I did, does that mean that county can still give me tickets?

A: Yes.

Jim_bo

Just out of curiosity, how much would it cost to fix the car?
Probably less than it costs to pay the tickets!!!

I am a bit amazed at your perspective here. It seems that you think it is ok to knowingly violate the law if you can't afford to fix your car? Maybe I should use the "I was really pissed off" defense if I shoot my ex-wife in the head. Dude... at what point do you accept responsibility for your actions??

Jimbo

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">