• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 Speeding Tickets...4 points a piece

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hoffmand

What is the name of your state? NJ

Hi, My name is Dan. I have held a pretty clean record for about 3 years now, but recently i have been pulled over for speeding....twice within 30 days of one and other. 15mph the first time (in a 65mph zone) and 16mph the second time. Both offenses are 4 point violations...my question is: Is it possible to get the points lowered (without hiring a lawyer)?

I know that i can plea down to an unsafe driving offense (39:4-97.2) but in Feb 2004 i was in an accident and was charged with reckless driving, i pleaed that down to an unsafe driving violation (no points). now if i plea one ticket down to unsafe driving, that will be my second offense within 5 years (as stated in the law), and if i plea the other ticket down also, that will be my third offense in 5 years and i will be charged with 4 points an the points from prior offenses, correct?

I was hoping to maybe plea down to somthing else instead....i would really like not to get any points, but if i have to get points, how can i get less then 8

Ultamatly, what are all of my options??

Thank you so much everyone!!
Dan

lwpat

One option is to pay the extra 250 for one of the tickets and then plead the other one down to a two point ticket.

hoffmand

One option is to pay the extra 250 for one of the tickets and then plead the other one down to a two point ticket.

how can i go about getting the ticket knocked down to 2 point? do i go to the prosecutor and ask "hey can i get this knocked down to a 2 point violation instead of a 4 point?"

any other suggestions? im trying to weigh all of my options. is is possible to get it knocked down to possibly a "failure to obey sign" violation (39:4-215 i think?)

thank you all!!

seniorjudge

how can i go about getting the ticket knocked down to 2 point? do i go to the prosecutor and ask "hey can i get this knocked down to a 2 point violation instead of a 4 point?"

any other suggestions? im trying to weigh all of my options. is is possible to get it knocked down to possibly a "failure to obey sign" violation (39:4-215 i think?)

thank you all!!
You may ask the prosecutor for anything you want.

Do it respectfully and clean up your language.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">