• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 speeding tickets. A few questions.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krs611

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts.

2 weeks ago i got a ticket for going 51 in a 35 and i appealed it and am awaiting my court date. Today i got a ticket for going 41 in a 30 (ridiculous). My questions are : When i go to court for the first ticket will they be aware of the second ticket and mention it? If i get out of the first ticket in court, will they be aware that i already went to court once already when i go to fight the second one even though the 1st was completely dropped?

Also I have a jeep cherokee. On the ticket the cop wrote jeep utility and put me down for a female when i'm a male. Will this help me out at all. (I think the cop was training someone and they filled out the ticket wrong to be honest). Thanks.

I_Got_Banned

Also I have a jeep cherokee. On the ticket the cop wrote jeep utility
Same thing... But nice try!

and put me down for a female when i'm a male.
Can you prove that in court?

Hahaha... Just kidding; I don't think this will help you much either.
I think the cop was training someone and they filled out the ticket wrong to be honest
I was thinking maybe you nagged a lot while he was writing the ticket so he figured you were a female. . .

krs611

How could i prove it you say? I can make a copy of the ticket and show them. Would that matter? And thats not funny haha obv i wasn't nagging. But can you answer my other questions?

Orcons

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts.

2 weeks ago i got a ticket for going 51 in a 35 and i appealed it and am awaiting my court date. Today i got a ticket for going 41 in a 30 (ridiculous). My questions are : When i go to court for the first ticket will they be aware of the second ticket and mention it? If i get out of the first ticket in court, will they be aware that i already went to court once already when i go to fight the second one even though the 1st was completely dropped?

Also I have a jeep cherokee. On the ticket the cop wrote jeep utility and put me down for a female when i'm a male. Will this help me out at all. (I think the cop was training someone and they filled out the ticket wrong to be honest). Thanks.
The first meeting will be with a clerk magistrate. An officer from the same force that ticketed you will be there but it will not be the one who gave you the ticket. They will have a printout that shows your driving record. Were the tickets issued by the same police force (i.e., same town or both state troopers)? If so, it may be possbile that the two hearings will be the same day. I am not sure about this but they schedule tickets issued by the same authority for the same day so an officer only has to show up for the ones written by his town. If it is a small enough town with few tickets contested you may get the same magistrate and same police prosecutor.

In any case I don't know if the second will be in the system by the time you have the hearing on the first, but you can be pretty sure they will know about the first when you go for the second.

The mistakes on the ticket will probably not get you far. You may be able to use them to call into question the officer's powers of observation but not likely. Now if the ticket was really written by one officer and signed by another you may have something especially if the one who wrote it is not yet authorized to write tickets. That is not supposed to be done as far as I know (not sure - you should check) but proving it may be tough. At the very least you may be able to argue that both need to be at the hearing before the judge which you can ask for if you are found responsible by the clerk. In MA the officer has to show up before the judge (but not before the clerk) or the ticket gets tossed.

I_Got_Banned

How could i prove it you say?
Actaully, I never asked "how"... But that's probably the part you missed and that's why you didn't think it was funny... Its cool though.

I can make a copy of the ticket and show them. Would that matter?
I honestly don't think it would make mich of a difference. Besides, they usually have a copy of the ticket.

And thats not funny haha obv i wasn't nagging. But can you answer my other questions?
Maybe you're right. This is a very serious situation and I shouldn't be making jokes!

But can you answer my other questions?
Actually, I can't. I don't know much about Massachusetts traffic laws or court procedures to give you a definitive answer about the other questions.
But if you ever receive a ticket in California, look me up, I'll do my best to help you out!
Don't despair though, someone who can giveyou an answer will hopefully be along shortly.

Last edited:

krs611

Orcons

Orcons**************.Well the only reason i feel like the cop in training wrote the ticket was because of the face that they wrote i was a female. I don't think a cop that has been in the force for years would make that. The reason i feel it was a training cop was because wen i got pulled over the cop was saying "ok see you should check out the car and look around it" something like that. The ticket was signed by the actual cop though (everyone knows this guy in town).

Both tickets were in the same town yes. Should i wait as long as possible to send in the appeal so that they are not held in court on the same day? What is the longest i can wait? Also the cop tried telling me he had me from 400 yards away which wasn't true because there is no way he could see me.

What are the chances of the cop or nobody showing up at all? Thanks for your help.

krs611

Also on the ticket where they are suppose to write the offense like speeding violation for example, nothing is written just a line going through it. My last ticket it said something about speeding. But radar is checked and posted and 41 in a 30. But since the cop does not write anything else will that help me?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">