• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 speeding tickets/one day/different states

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toofaststeve

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I haven't had a speeding ticket in probably 10 years. I was driving back to Colorado from Montana and received a speeding ticket in Montana(93/75mph) which I paid on the spot for $40. Then I received a ticket in Idaho(88/75mph) which I need to pay by December 29th. I currently live in Colorado but am moving to Montana on December 31st. My registration for my Colorado plates doesn't expire until October 2010 so I'm hoping to keep my CO insurance and plates until then.

Since I don't live in Idaho or Montana it will be difficult to try to get the tickets deferred since I won't be able to make it to court, but this is what I would like to do. Maybe try to negotiate a 6 month or year deal without a ticket so it won't be on my permanent record.

Is there a way to get a deferred ticket without being in court? Is there anything else I can do to get these off of my permanent record or atleast my insurance rates won't get hiked?

Any suggestions on who I can contact or web sites I can check out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all of your help!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You already pled guilty to the one. I think it's too late to do anything with that.

$40 seems kind of cheap, by the way.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I currently live in Colorado but am moving to Montana on December 31st. My registration for my Colorado plates doesn't expire until October 2010 so I'm hoping to keep my CO insurance and plates until then.
As a side note, you are probably looking at getting more tickets. Once you become a legal resident of Montana you will have to have your car registered there. I am guessing there is some grace period, 30 or 60 days is pretty standard. Failure to transfer your registration will cause you more grief and totally unnecessary hassle.

I don't recall seeing too many posters here familiar with vehicle and traffic laws in Idaho and Montana, so you may not get an answer to your original questions here. Best bet is to check with the local DMVs to see how the system works in those states. Online searches should give you some information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">