• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 tickets for avoiding a possible pileup...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

neuralt

What is the name of your state? MA
I was driving thro' NY 3 weeks back - when I was given 2 tickets! I was in the left most lane next to the HOV lane (which was empty) -- I didnt drive in there (although I didnt know about the HOV rules -- atleast 2 passengers in the car) because of the special marking there. THe traffic was slow around 45mph - nearly bumper to bumper once in a while. A stupid driver pulled into my lane from the right lane suddenly and it was too late to brake since I had just started to accelerate so to avoid him I shifted into the empty left lane (which I later found out to be the HOV lane) I honked him and then came back into my lane within 30secs -- when I was pulled over. I was suprised that I was pulled over instead of the other guy and when I asked the officer the reason I was told that I was driving in the HOV lane -- and before I could explain he went over and handed me 2 tickets --
1 for - Sec 1128 sub d ( drove over hazard marks)
2nd for - Sec 1110 sub a ( fail to obey traffic control device)
I am feeling injusticed and angry for getting 2 tickets for no fault of mine. It was true that I didnt know abt the HOV rules but I wuldnt have been in the lane in the first place if not for that idiot who cut in. I am wondering what to do abt this.
Do I have to go to the court? The Not Guilty section in the ticket states I have 30 days to appeal -- but the note underneath says I have to mail in the ticket within 48hrs (in fine print) -- Does that mean I cant appeal as not guilty? Also I dread driving 7hrs just to go to the court - Is there any other option like trial by written declaration (like in CA) for NY. I am a grad student and I neither have time nor money to waste on this.

thanks.

cepe10

you are allowed to make an evasive move to avoid a collision so that would be a basis for NOT GUILTY

You would have to go to court and contact the court for the details.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">