• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 tickets for same offense?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC

I was stopped and ticketed for making a left turn when I shouldn't have.

Problem is, I was given two tickets.
One for the 'no left turn' sign
and
Another for the green arrow signal which basically is for the same thing.

I'll be going in to ask the judge to dismiss the lesser of the two fines. But I'm wondering how in any way might the officer argue that both tickets are valid in and of their own right?

Should I be going back and taking photos of the scene? Just in case? I personally don't think the tickets are vague in any way.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC

I was stopped and ticketed for making a left turn when I shouldn't have.

Problem is, I was given two tickets.
One for the 'no left turn' sign
and
Another for the green arrow signal which basically is for the same thing.

I'll be going in to ask the judge to dismiss the lesser of the two fines. But I'm wondering how in any way might the officer argue that both tickets are valid in and of their own right?

Should I be going back and taking photos of the scene? Just in case? I personally don't think the tickets are vague in any way.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: is it possible you have split personality? Or maybe the cop had double vision.

I_Got_Banned

What's up with the other two drunken responses?

to answer your question, the tickets stated specifically:

Disobey No Left Turn Sign

Disobey Green Arrow Traffic Signal
Does the citation list "numerical" vehicle code sections?

If so, can you post those?

cyjeff

What's up with the other two drunken responses?

to answer your question, the tickets stated specifically:

Disobey No Left Turn Sign

Disobey Green Arrow Traffic Signal
What the heck are you talking about?

It is certainly possible to be charged with two crimes for one action if that action violated two distinct statutes.

Just because you don't like it doesn't make me drunk.

cyjeff,

your signature certainly does throw a person off.

"""Just leave it as is and stop making yourselves sound real stupid about the sisutation at hand. Further more I don't need to know how to spell corcetly on here. I know how to spell perfectly fine. I did graduate high school and never once had any problems with my grammer."""

'and btw, I clearly stated how they were for the same thing just as a street corner might have multiple bits of signage indicating one should stop, or one should only turn left, or turn right, or whatever. That's why I asked if I should go back and take photos which I most likely will afterall.

cyjeff

cyjeff,

your signature certainly does throw a person off.

"""Just leave it as is and stop making yourselves sound real stupid about the sisutation at hand. Further more I don't need to know how to spell corcetly on here. I know how to spell perfectly fine. I did graduate high school and never once had any problems with my grammer."""

'and btw, I clearly stated how they were for the same thing just as a street corner might have multiple bits of signage indicating one should stop, or one should only turn left, or turn right, or whatever. That's why I asked if I should go back and take photos which I most likely will afterall.
My signature was a quote from another thread... not relevant to anything except my twisted sense of humor.

I always recommend pictures ANYTIME you go to court.

I_Got_Banned

Only one of the citations have a number:
1111A2

(I believe it says 'A'....if not A then it's a '4')
It is actually 1111.a.2
§1111. Traffic-control signal indications.

Whenever traffic is controlled by traffic-control signals, other than lane direction control signal indications provided in section eleven hundred sixteen, exhibiting different colored lights, or colored lighted arrows, successively, one at a time or in combination, only the colors green, yellow and red shall be used, and said lights shall indicate and apply to drivers of vehicles and to pedestrians as follows:

(a) Green indications:

1. Traffic, except pedestrians, facing a steady circular green signal may proceed straight through or turn right or left unless a sign at such place prohibits either such turn. Such traffic, including when turning right or left, shall yield the right of way to other traffic lawfully within the intersection or an adjacent crosswalk at the time such signal is exhibited.

2. Traffic, except pedestrians, facing a steady green arrow signal may cautiously enter the intersection only to make the movement indicated by such arrow, or such other movement as is permitted by other indications shown at the same time, except that a U-Turn may be made by traffic facing a left green arrow signal unless a sign prohibits such U-Turn or such U-Turn is in violation of any other provision of law. Such traffic shall yield the right of way to other traffic lawfully within the intersection or an adjacent cross walk at the time such signal is exhibited.
I couldn't figure oout what the other one is. If anyone feels up to it, here you go:
Laws of New York

123 X 3, you might want to also describe what you did/didn't do that got you pulled over.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok, let's put up a hypothetical scenario:

An intersection is controlled by a green-arrow for the left turn. However, there is also a sign placed saying "No Left Turn, 4pm-6pm". Theoretically, you can violate BOTH of those with one action.

It is actually 1111.a.2

I couldn't figure oout what the other one is. If anyone feels up to it, here you go:
Laws of New York

123 X 3, you might want to also describe what you did/didn't do that got you pulled over.

What I wasn't supposed to do was make that left turn. That green arrow light points foward, meaning that I was supposed to go straight. I'm thinking now how photos would be very important at this point, that is, if the officer were to lie. --Gasp--

Mind you, the no left turn sign and the green arrow were about a block-length apart. Ever see those signs which'll warn you of something a block or so ahead of time? This all crossed a large street with a mighty big dividing sidewalk island in between. One side for turning right and the other for turning left. Hope that makes sense.

I'm thinking now of how the tickets don't even indicate exactly where this all took place. This officer could have a field day with me if he so wished. Ya think?

Off I go now to get photos.

cyjeff

What I wasn't supposed to do was make that left turn. That green arrow light points foward, meaning that I was supposed to go straight. I'm thinking now how photos would be very important at this point, that is, if the officer were to lie. --Gasp--

Mind you, the no left turn sign and the green arrow were about a block-length apart. Ever see those signs which'll warn you of something a block or so ahead of time? This all crossed a large street with a mighty big dividing sidewalk island in between. One side for turning right and the other for turning left. Hope that makes sense.

I'm thinking now of how the tickets don't even indicate exactly where this all took place. This officer could have a field day with me if he so wished. Ya think?

Off I go now to get photos.
If both a sign AND the green arrow told you to go straight and you, instead, took a left, then you may be in violation of both.

There is an intersection about 3 miles from me right around the corner from the police station. There are signs on the ground, on poles, hanging overhead and NEXT to the traffic signal ALL of which state "NO LEFT TURN".

If you decide to take that left turn, I have known the police to write a ticket for every different type of sign you ignored.

I think it is because they cannot give a ticket for being stupid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">