• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

20 Year old Ticket from NY caused my GA DL to be cancelled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

totaxi

What is the name of your state?I went to the Georgia DMV to get a replacement for a lost Drivers License. They denied me because I have a record on the “National Driver Registry” from the state of NY and I need to clear that up before GA would replace my DL.

I have had a GA DL for 13 years with only 2 speeding tickets.

I called NY and they say that I need to send them $300 for a driving w/out insurance ticket from 1985. Also I need to contact the “Clarkstown” NY courthouse to clear up some 1987 tickets. When NY gets my $300 and a OK letter from Clarkston they will clear my record from the registry.

I called the Clarkson Courthouse and it seems I have a major violation; Aggravated unlicensed operation. Evidently NY suspended my DL for failure to pay the 1985 ticket and I got 2 driving while suspended tickets in 86 and 87. I timely paid the 86 ticket in 86 but not the 87 one.

OK here is where it gets scary. I ask how to get this cleared up and the clerk says that I need to make an appearance before the Judge. I explain that I now live out of state and this is 20 years ago. I ask if there is a fine and can it be paid by mail? She says NO and because of the nature of the violation only a Judge can determine the penalty. So I ask what is typical for this and she says “It depends, but not more that $1000 and not more than 1 year in jail, but I doubt you will get any jail time.”

She doubts I will get jail time! I not going anywhere near that courthouse.

Now, 1 week later, I get notification from the State of GEORGIA that my drivers license has been cancelled effective 4/15/2005.

I had no idea that such a mess could come back after so long.
Does anybody have any thoughts on clearing this up at the least cost and with NOT having to go to NY? Is there a statute of limitations defense I could invoke? Yes, I know this will likely require an attorney. I am trying to get some ideas of what my options will be.

Thanks in advance. And:

BE CAREFULL AT RENEWAL if there is any chance that you have an old unpaid ticket that could have led to a suspension from any state at any time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">