• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2007 ticket and can't remember it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MCool10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I got a ticket in 2007 for no proof of insurance, registration and no front license plate. I don't remember a thing about it. I remember getting the ticket, going to court, paying a fine and I still have the receipt that says my license will be released electronically from the dmv in 24 hours. But I also have a letter from the dmv that the date recieved is three days after I was at court saying my license was suspended because of the same fine......fast forward to the present day I had tickets that i took care of in Orange County that I thought were the reasons my license was suspended. Come to find out when i call the dmv it is still suspended because of the 2007 ticket. I still have the registration and insurance for the car i recieved the ticket in. Anyways i go to the clerks office and ask if i can see the judge to fix it and she tells me no because it has been sent to collections because of a failure to appear and the only way is for me to pay the $914.63 fine in full to get my license back....Can somebody please tell me that there is something I can do to fight this or some how get it lowered because i can't remember the last time I actually had a total of 900 dollars at one time so I have no Idea how I would pay it. But I can honestly say that for the life of me I don't know why or how it got to this point because i have all the paperwork that would have cleared me for that ticket so I dont know what happened.

Sounds like you have two choices: pay the monies to get your license back or don't.

They will not lower the amount of money you owe.

I_Got_Banned

I'm trying to make sense of your story but its not working....

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I got a ticket in 2007 for no proof of insurance, registration and no front license plate. I don't remember a thing about it. I remember getting the ticket, going to court, paying a fine and I still have the receipt that says my license will be released electronically from the dmv in 24 hours. But I also have a letter from the dmv that the date recieved is three days after I was at court saying my license was suspended because of the same fine......fast forward to the present day I had tickets that i took care of in Orange County that I thought were the reasons my license was suspended.
You start with "I don't remember a thing about it" then immediately go into "what it was for, what you did to take care of it, how it ended up at the time, what your receipt shows...

But I also have a letter from the dmv that the date recieved is three days after I was at court saying my license was suspended because of the same fine......
You have a letter from the DMV saying the date WHAT was received was three days after???

And by the way, even if/when the hold is released, you still have to go to the DMV to pay the administrative fee, take the written test and have them reissue your license. I didn't see you mention anything in that regards, but I also don't know if that is contributing to any of these issues you're having.

I still have the registration and insurance for the car i recieved the ticket in. Anyways i go to the clerks office and ask if i can see the judge to fix it and she tells me no because it has been sent to collections because of a failure to appear and the only way is for me to pay the $914.63 fine in full to get my license back....
And if you've failed to appear more than once on the same citation, it is true that your case is pretty much closed and the fine becomes due and payable immediately, otherwise it is sent to collections.

But I can honestly say that for the life of me I don't know why or how it got to this point because i have all the paperwork that would have cleared me for that ticket so I dont know what happened.
Selective memory :rolleyes:....

I have no idea what happened either, but it would be obvious that just because you have all the paperwork that would have cleared you, does not necessarily mean it was submitted to the court in a timely manner (in fact, since you have the paperwork (as opposed to "copies" of the paperwork) might suggest that the originals were never submitted to the court, the court in turn added the fines and penalties for failing to show proof of correction in a timely manner (for at least one of the violations you listed)...

You can, of course, ask the court for further explanation or for copies of what documents are in your file... but.. If ultimately, the only way to resolve the matter is to pay, then looking through the file isn't going to change much!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">