• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

21 year old speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EvilScooby

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

I was trying to renew my DL the other day and was told there was a block. I called the number given to me, a North Carolina number. The yinformed me I have an unpaid speeding ticket for 1990!! And that I have to pay the fines and late fees to get my license reinstated, I also have to pay the NC DMV a fee to reinstate. I have no recollection of ever getting a speeding ticket in NC, this was 21 years ago and I have renewed my license many many times since. What can I do? My license is going to expire here in Ohio and I do not have that kind of money to fork up right at the moment.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
First thing I would try to do is get a copy of the ticket or at least the information on it. This way you can hopefully see if it's really you or maybe just someone with a similar name.

Not to be a wise guy but I've stopped people with suspended licenses for unanswered tickets they received 6 months prior and they have no recollection of even getting the ticket. 21 years is a long time.

ohiorez11

This just happened to me too.

I was just made aware of a block on my license renewal from the state of Iowa. Literally ten years ago I had a speeding ticket that I promptly paid off. They said that because the speed was in excess of 25 MPH there was an additional $200 fine that was sent out in the mail. This was over ten years ago, but I certainly do not remember receiving an additional fine in the mail. In that time I have lived in 3 different states (before present Ohio) and checked my credit report at least a half dozen times and have never been made aware of this. Is this really enforceable?

CSO286

I was just made aware of a block on my license renewal from the state of Iowa. Literally ten years ago I had a speeding ticket that I promptly paid off. They said that because the speed was in excess of 25 MPH there was an additional $200 fine that was sent out in the mail. This was over ten years ago, but I certainly do not remember receiving an additional fine in the mail. In that time I have lived in 3 different states (before present Ohio) and checked my credit report at least a half dozen times and have never been made aware of this. Is this really enforceable?
Please start your own thread.

First thing I would try to do is get a copy of the ticket or at least the information on it. This way you can hopefully see if it's really you or maybe just someone with a similar name..
They won't have a 20 yr old ticket in a file .. and if they did it could take a year to get it out of storage.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
OP left a long time ago. Why don't you try to find something more recent to make a silly comment on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">