• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

21453 a

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hdac2323

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in California and received a ticket for 21453 A.

I came out of a mall parking lot and made a right turn onto a busy street. The time was 9:05am so the mall was not open so there were no pedestrian traffic. However, there was some morning traffic on the street. The officer stated that I ran a red light.

I am wondering if I should contest this citation because:
1. I stopped and looked both way to ensure there were no pedestrians. I also looked to my left for on coming traffic. After ensuring that it is safe, I proceeded to make a right turn out of the parking lot.

2. The red light was a circular red and not a red arrow. I went back to confirm that there were no "No Right on Red" signs.

Should I just pay the fine and take traffic school. I am confident that I stopped, but I know I will have to prove this and it would be my word vs. the officer.

Any advise is appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

I came out of a mall parking lot and made a right turn onto a busy street. The time was 9:05am so the mall was not open so there were no pedestrian traffic. However, there was some morning traffic on the street. The officer stated that I ran a red light.

I am wondering if I should contest this citation because:
1. I stopped and looked both way to ensure there were no pedestrians. I also looked to my left for on coming traffic. After ensuring that it is safe, I proceeded to make a left turn out of the parking lot.
Did you make a right turn? or did you make a left turn? Or do you even know?
1. I stopped and looked both way to ensure there were no pedestrians
A 21453(a) has nothing to do with pedestrians. You ran a red light.

I also looked to my left for on coming traffic. After ensuring that it is safe, I proceeded to make a left turn out of the parking lot.
So according to this statement, you ran a red light.

The red light was a circular red and not a red arrow.
Which means you cannot go straight or make a left turn until the light changes to green.

I went back to confirm that there were no "No Right on Red" signs.
This has no connection or relation to you making a LEFT turn against a circular red light!

Should I just pay the fine and take traffic school.
If you can do traffic school, pay double the fee and repeat the course. You really need it!

I am confident that I stopped
You really really need it!!!

The Occultist

OP, did you come to a complete stop (no part of the vehicle, not even just the bumper, was moving in the slightest) prior to making your turn?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">