• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

21461(a)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MackledMalacaw

What is the name of your state? California

This evening I was driving back to my college with some of my friends. I wasn't sure exactly how to get out of the parking lot the way I wanted so I followed some cars. Two cars in front of me both turned left, so naturally I followed and turned left out of the parking lot. I was then pulled over by a cop and giving a citation. I could not see the signs do to the two cars in front of me and the others in the car didn't see it as well. Is there anyway I can contest this ticket? If not what is the typical fine for this and how will it affect my insurance?

AlanShore

Not really, you broke the law. You probaly can pay a fine around $125 and go to traffic school to remove the points.

CdwJava

It is one point on your license and the typical fine (per the 2007 Uniform Bail Schedule) should be about $130. It will likely raise your insurance.

Whether you can successfully contest the violation will depend on a number of factors: Was the sign clear and legible (not whether you noticed it, but whether you SHOULD have noticed it)? Was the sign on private property or city/state? A privately maintained sign may not have the same force of law that a publicly erected sign will have, and sometimes newer officers confuse the two and will cite for a sign posted by a private enterprise.

You should at least go back and review the scene, take some photos, and then see if you have even a chance of prevailing.

You can conduct a trial by declaration (written statement) or go to court. If you are afraid of the insurance hit and want to get it over with, you can always ask for traffic school if you are eligible.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">