• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

21461(a) cvc ticket in college parking lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Error

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

This violation occurred at my college campus late at night when there were no cars in the parking lot. It was the beginning of the semester and I was not familiar with the parking lot yet, a friend dropped me off to get my car at around 10:25PM at that time the parking lot was empty and I was looking for the exit. I exited through where I came in, I only realized the entrance only sign right as I was about to leave so I couldn't really back up so I just went through it and that took me to the right street. The officer told me that that is a bus yield and it can pose a risk if a bus is coming, but buses don't run that late at night.
My question is, is there any way I can get this ticket even reduced? I am a college student and cannot afford about $300. He also got me for not having my proof of insurance, but I did have insurance so Im sure they will waive that huge fee, but that price is still alot, is there any way I can explain what happened and who do I talk to?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Why do you think it matters that the lot was empty? Should make the signage easier to see if anything.

And it also doesn't matter that buses don't run at that hour. The sign is posted and it's in effect at all times. Doesn't really matter why it's posted - it IS there.

And if was an empty lot why couldn't you backup? Why couldn't you see the sign from a reasonable distance?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">