• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

21651(b)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SaraV929

What is the name of your state? California (LA County)

Received a ticket this morning for 21651(b). I was antsy to get around traffic and crossed a double yellow line to get into my left turn only.

The ticket says it's mandatory for misdemeanor tickets to go to court. Is this the case or can I just pay the fine and go to traffic school?

JIMinCA

Bad news: A misdemeanor does have to go to court

I wouldn't treat this lightly. I don't think you would want a misdemeanor conviction.

Todd1138

21651 (b)

I just got popped for the same thing; crossing a double yellow line to enter the left turn lane. Apparently, 21651 (b) is a pretty big deal and is considered a misdemeanor. This means a court appearance is mandatory. Well, my scheduled court date is in October, like 5+ months away (just goes to show you how backed up and messed up LA is).
I did some research on the internet and it seems that 21651 (b) applies to driving the wrong way on a highway and doesn't seem to apply to crossing a double yellow line on a road (that appears to be 21460 (a), but what do I know).
Does anybody have any advice on how I should proceed in court, or could you tell me how your case turned out? This whole thing is turning my stomach.

Thanks in advance.

CdwJava

I just got popped for the same thing; crossing a double yellow line to enter the left turn lane. Apparently, 21651 (b) is a pretty big deal and is considered a misdemeanor. This means a court appearance is mandatory. Well, my scheduled court date is in October, like 5+ months away (just goes to show you how backed up and messed up LA is).
I did some research on the internet and it seems that 21651 (b) applies to driving the wrong way on a highway and doesn't seem to apply to crossing a double yellow line on a road (that appears to be 21460 (a), but what do I know).
Does anybody have any advice on how I should proceed in court, or could you tell me how your case turned out? This whole thing is turning my stomach.

Thanks in advance.
Please start your own thread if there are any further replies.

However, here is the section:

(b) It is unlawful to drive any vehicle upon a highway, except to
the right of an intermittent barrier or a dividing section which
separates two or more opposing lanes of traffic. Except as otherwise
provided in subdivision (c), a violation of this subdivision is a
misdemeanor.​
If you drove to the left of the divider, then you can be charged with this.

As for how you proceed, if you start a thread for that, you may get some people with hints or ideas.

- Carl

Todd1138

21651 (b)

Thanks, I've read that code and I'm not certain that it really applies. Basically, what I did was ride the center lane to get around traffic and make it to the left turn lane (to make the green arrow). Well, the center lane abrubtly has a double yellow line across it and I crossed it. The following image illustrates what i did:

http://7zark7.netfirms.com

I really wish that Sarah would come back and tell us how it turned out for her!

Last edited:

CdwJava

And you drove the wrong way in that turn lane. You drove left of the double yellow. And 21460 doesn't apply here.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">